• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolvers: Ruger .38 Special LCR Vs S&W .38 Special Body Guard

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
A friend and his wife asked my recommendation for a home-defense/ glove box pistol.
I recommended a revolver as they have been a solid and reliably safe choice for over 100 years. Hence the question above!

While I don't particularly care for revolvers without an exposed hammer, they do have their place: ever seen a woman try to "de-cocking" a revolver?

I would like to limit the discussion to revolvers. Otherwise, this post could quickly get out of hand!

Both pistols can be had with built-in laser designators, which is nice,. Both pistols provide a range of loadings that are effective: 148GR Wad Cutters to learn with, and a variety of effective modern self-defense loads)

If they're planning on doing some sniper work for a clandestine government agency, a laser is fine. For an up-close self defense situation, it's a gimmick. Your friends need to know how to acquire a target and shoot without depending on some cat toy. I have a Smith 442, it's an Airweight, carries well, and it's hammerless. Smith has hammered versions but with a different model number. Smith or Ruger and are the best value for the quality. Charter Arms is no longer a good choice. The early ones were excellent, but then quality tanked. Kimber makes a revolver, but it's twice the price of a Smith. Colt is also back, but they might be out of business next week.

It does not sound like this is gonna be a deep concealment carry gun. For that reason, i personally think either of those mentioned are inferior for most people for a home defense pistol. Super light weight + small dimensions + pretty stout calibers = lots of recoil and low capacity. Like it or not, a snubbie is an experts gun and for the average joe (or jane) that does not/will not practice defensive shooting drills, they will be better served with a larger framed pistol (or revolver if that is a must) that has more capacity and better control of recoil. 5 shots go quick, especially if there is multiple assailants (common in home invasions). Good chance most if not all shots will be missed or pulled off and be non life threatening shots due to trigger pulls that have a pull weight much heavier than the whole firearm itself. Again, more of an experts gun. Small guns are usually not the best choice for a home defense gun. If its not needing to be concealed for a particular purpose. Get something larger with more real estate and easier to manipulate (especially under stress). That is my non expert opinion. Best of luck

It does not sound like this is gonna be a deep concealment carry gun. For that reason, i personally think either of those mentioned are inferior for most people for a home defense pistol. Super light weight + small dimensions + pretty stout calibers = lots of recoil and low capacity. Like it or not, a snubbie is an experts gun and for the average joe (or jane) that does not/will not practice defensive shooting drills, they will be better served with a larger framed pistol (or revolver if that is a must) that has more capacity and better control of recoil. 5 shots go quick, especially if there is multiple assailants (common in home invasions). Good chance most if not all shots will be missed or pulled off and be non life threatening shots due to trigger pulls that have a pull weight much heavier than the whole firearm itself. Again, more of an experts gun. Small guns are usually not the best choice for a home defense gun. If its not needing to be concealed for a particular purpose. Get something larger with more real estate and easier to manipulate (especially under stress). That is my non expert opinion. Best of luck

Yeah, my idea of home defense is a shorty shotgun positioned above the doors of closets in every room! That and a G23 beside my bed, and a G35 handy for answering the door. However, these people are not going to do something like that and will never own more than the one pistol ... so KISS (keep it simple and safe) is the bottom-line.

The two fundamental drawbacks of a small frame revolver for a woman in a self-defense role are these:
-long heavy trigger pool, and
- small crappy sights.

You recognize the problem with the sights, and you say that both of these guns are available with a laser sight. That's great. My Smith & Wesson model 637 also wears Crimson Trace lasergrips. (So I don't have to rely on those tiny little sights).

So then I think it comes down to the trigger pull-- which gun has a better trigger ?
From what I recall dry firing both weapons at a gun store counter the Ruger LCR has the better trigger .
( I myself chose a model 637 from Smith and Wesson that had already had a trigger job right from the factory--a Smith and Wesson "performance center" variation.)

Clark 123, I hate to go off topic, but I must say that I think the best choice for a woman's home defense handgun/glove box gun (which will not be carried on one's body out in public daily) would be a striker -fired medium sized 9 mm pistol .
Something with a 5-6 lb. trigger pull.
A gun with big sights with white dots or other bright colors on the sights.
Something that holds 8 -15 rounds, depending on whether it uses a single stack magazine or a staggered column magazine.

Back
Top Bottom