• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RFI: Loading Speer Cast Lead # 4678 (200GR .452 Diameter)

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Fell heir to some Speer Projectiles about 200 of them ... Now, I would like to load them!

Anyone who regularly reloads this very shallow profile projectile? Seems the COAL is a crap-shoot on this one ... Maybe even something strange like 1.19 or 1.20 or ?? As it appears to be a swagged lead projectile with a single canelature (obviously not for .45 ACP, which just needs a little hug, and no crimp), I imagine 800 FPS would be the top end as far as loads go. I will be loading it with either Tightgroup or Universal. Obviously for target shooting.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Fell heir to some Speer Projectiles about 200 of them ... Now, I would like to load them!

Anyone who regularly reloads this very shallow profile projectile? Seems the COAL is a crap-shoot on this one ... Maybe even something strange like 1.19 or 1.20 or ?? As it appears to be a swagged lead projectile with a single canelature (obviously not for .45 ACP, which just needs a little hug, and no crimp), I imagine 800 FPS would be the top end as far as loads go. I will be loading it with either Tightgroup or Universal. Obviously for target shooting.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Actually it is for .45 ACP. It is designed to give wadcutter performance in a SWC bullet that will function in semi-autos. Makes neat little round holes important to Bullseye shooters. I would load them to the shoulder, and if they chamber fine, go with that.

Swaged bullets are usually dead soft, so 800 fps would be about tops.

I think the cannelure is mostly for holding lube.

I don't why COAL would be an issue except for unramped barrels that might have feeding issues, then you will just have to find the sweet spot for your gun.

Do NOT seat them flush with the case. Such designs won't generally feed. You'll need at least one millimeter of exposed "body" to get reliable feeding. Possibly more.

I'd do the plunk test to find max OAL, then back off a few thousandths and see if that feeds. If not, progressively seat deeper. Or you could go the other way... start out 30 thousandths out of the case, and work up until it feeds reliably.

Good luck; you'll likely use up a lot of 'em before you figure out the right formula.

IMG_0721.JPG
If this is what you have, this is how they need to look when loaded. You need a little exposed shoulder or the crimp will fail to hold the bullet. Too much shoulder and the shoulder will jam into the rifling preventing the cartridge from fully clambering.

Got this from someone else; it seems to follow just what you guys recommend:

"You want about a fingernail's worth of shoulder at the end of the case, it is usually around 1.250 or so. This is so the lead shoulder will hit the ramp and not the case. Crimp a little more so there is NO sharp edge on the case mouth, it should be smooth and rounded, not rough. That should do it....Good luck!

I got this from "DougCarden". I followed it exactly and have had no function problems from my loads since. I actually loaded these the night before and then went to my first match with them without function testing them first. It was either go to the match or wait two months. I had no problems with the ammo at the match or since following the advice.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104670&st=0&p=1194134&fromsearch=1entry1194134 "

Kuduman:
It is very common for 1911's to have trouble feeding the SWC profile. The keys to my success with it have been a 14 to 16 pound recoil spring, a decent mag that does not have a high power spring--when the bullet is light, the main, recoil, and mag spring need to be on the light side, and the barrel has to be properly throated--my factory barrels almost always need a very sight modification to knock the edge off of the bottom 1/2 of chamber opening.

The 7 or 8 round Wilson 47D mag has as strong a spring as would ever be needed, and feeds the SWC very well. It has been the the best mag for my 45 purposes. I have some of the newer Wilson Mags for a 9mm 1911, and I think the spring is way too strong.

But, the simplest thing to do first is to see if a particular COL works in your gun. It sounds like you found what works for you.

Of the pictures that I posted, I have seen more trouble with the short fat profile on the right. I think the one one the left is know as the H&G #68 prifile.

Back
Top Bottom