• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rifle Pack

Kyzrsoze

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a backpack with accomodation to handle a takedown rifle. If you've found one, show off your setup and share what you like about it. I plan to keep this one in my car, so I'd like to stick to a compact bag, something I won't curse myself over overloading if I have to abandon the car and walk.

What kind of take down?

Its a Savage model 24, 1960 vintage. I've avoided the Ruger takedown bag, primarily because it's larger than I want, but also because the barrel on this one is 24" - longer than the Ruger when broken down. These were offered with a 20" barrel, and I've toyed with the idea of cutting this one to 20" to make it a better brush gun and to make it easier to pack.

DSCF2070.JPG

DSCF2073.JPG

DSCF2080.JPG

Here is what I've noticed: a rifle's shortest OAL is suppose to be 27" shotguns are 36"(or something) Most backpacks are about 26" tall (as in you cant get a rifle in there b/c there is no stretch room) if you don't go with a hiking pack, instrument case, or sports bag

I understand this is the gun you have chosen, however I would recommend that you pack something that has more capacity or is faster to reload

Here is what I've noticed: a rifle's shortest OAL is suppose to be 27" shotguns are 36"(or something) Most backpacks are about 26" tall (as in you cant get a rifle in there b/c there is no stretch room) if you don't go with a hiking pack, instrument case, or sports bag

I understand this is the gun you have chosen, however I would recommend that you pack something that has more capacity or is faster to reload

I get what you're saying, and I should clarify. This gun would be used more for a foraging or varmints, not so much as a self defense weapon. Certainly there are better choices for that. Also, this gun is actually a "takedown" and can be broken down like this in just a few seconds:

savage_24c_case_original-3.jpg

The longest piece is the barrel at 24", and the rifle weighs around 6 pounds total. I am seriously considering cutting the barrel down to 20" as well.

Last edited:
Eberlestock gunslinger or others come to mind, or any backpacking pack will fit a takedown inside it. The tactical bags made specifically for carrying rifles may or may not scream "I have a gun" during a SHTF situation where you may have to be on foot.

Back
Top Bottom