• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rifle stock refinish

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
Long story short,
I have my grandfathers Model 70 XTR from '77 that was passed to me when he passed. The stock has seen its better days, not from his use (see long story below). I would like to find someone that can refinish the stock for me. There is some dents into the wood and some good marring. As well as a little damage to the checkering on the forearm part of stock. Any suggestions to a local in the Habersham or Hall county area would be great.

Long story.
My grandfather bought this rifle new in '77 and had it fitted with a Bushnell sport view scope. He was proud of this rifle and took the best of care of it while he was alive. He hunted with this rifle very little as he adored it so. I was fascinated with it as i was growing up as well. Had the rifle been left as is or he had done the damage to it I would not be looking to refinish it. However while he was ill and in the hospital someone broke into his home and stole a few guns. the neighbors seen what was going on and chased them away. However they dropped a few guns on the gravel driveway on their way out. THIS was one of them. The LEO's caught up to them and was able to recover all his guns. But now that he has passed my grandmother gave me most of his guns. I would love to put this back to the way it was before the low lives stole it. The scope was trashed in the BS and turrets and glass were both busted. Hats off to Bushnell as when i called them and mailed the receipt of his old scope along with the scope to them. They replaced it with with a bran new 3500 Elite series as they do not offer repair parts for his older scope anymore! If it was just refinishing the stain i could handle it, but there is some minor damage to the checkering and the white spacers on grip cap etc. There is not a new stock offered for the XTR anymore, not that i can find anyway. Any assistance in finding a good repair man for this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long version, just wanted to let everyone know it is not how he left it. I would be leaving it alone. The dents and all would be his memory in the rifle and i would not be interested in changing that. Believe it or not, with all the damage that was done the metal was untouched.

Back
Top Bottom