• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Right's Vs. Law

Do Individual Right's over rule Law?

• Total voters
Rights are a concept, they only exist to the extent that the people who control a society permit and support or the majority are prepared to demand, possibly by the use of force on either side.

image.jpeg

A right is a justified claim to stand in a relationship with some other person or persons such that the other has a correlative obligation to do or not do some particular thing.

You can not have a right without a correlative obligation. If an individual possesses some right against another moral agent, the second person is morally required to constrain his action toward the first in certain ways. For instance, if we possess a right to life, then others are morally required not to threaten or destroy it. On most accounts of rights, because we may demand that others act in accordance with our right, we may enforce our rights against others or we may authorize some third party to enforce those rights. Thus, part of what is distinctive about this dimension of morality is that it is legitimately enforceable. Rights are the heavy artillery of moral discourse. If I have a right to someone else’s acting in a certain way, it is not merely praiseworthy that that person act in that way; morally speaking, he must act and may be made to act in accordance with my rights.

The fact that rights are morally demanding also may be appreciated by noting that, in general, rights and obligations are correlative. That means that, in general, if I have some right against you, then you have a corresponding obligation to me. If I have a right against you that you not take my life, then you have an obligation toward me not to take my life. Your forbearing to take my life is not merely praiseworthy; it is obligatory and properly subject to being enforced. However, to say that rights and the obligations correlative to those rights constitute the enforceable dimension of morality is hardly to say that that is the only dimension of morality. Indeed, a great part of the point and value of a regime of enforced individual rights is that it frees people to act on their broader moral understanding of what is good and virtuous and what is bad and vicious.

Because rights mark off those moral claims of individuals for which respect may be enforced, and because political and legal institutions are instruments of enforcement, rights provide guidelines for legitimacy in political and legal institutions. The use or threat of force by political and legal institutions will be morally acceptable—and those institutions will be legitimate—only insofar as force or the threat of force is used to secure respect for the rights of individuals. Insofar as political and legal institutions use force or the threat of force for ends other than securing the rights of individuals, they act wrongfully and lack legitimacy. https://www.libertarianism.org

Rights are innumerated in the constitution, they do not include "free" health care, "free" contraceptives, "free" cell phones, food stamps, government provided housing, the coercive power of the government to transfer money from one individual to another,

Well... All rights are not enumerated in the Constitution. It even says that in the Consitution. But yes there were no positive rights outlined in the constitution. There is a reason the founders tended to speak in terms of liberty because all one has to do in order to respect liberty, is not do something. If an individual possesses a negative right against others, then others are merely required not to act in a certain way with respect to the rights holder. In contrast, if an individual possesses a positive right against others, then they are required to perform some action with respect to the rights holder. For instance, my right to life construed as a negative right is tantamount to a right not to have my life destroyed or threatened.

All that an individual’s negative rights can require of other people is that they leave that individual alone—that they leave him to the peaceful enjoyment of what is legitimately his. In contrast, my right to life construed as a positive right entails that I have a right to be provided with life (i.e., to be provided with the necessities of life). If I have positive rights against another, then his merely leaving me alone violates my rights.

Well... All rights are not enumerated in the Constitution. It even says that in the Consitution. But yes there were no positive rights outlined in the constitution. There is a reason the founders tended to speak in terms of liberty because all one has to do in order to respect liberty, is not do something. If an individual possesses a negative right against others, then others are merely required not to act in a certain way with respect to the rights holder. In contrast, if an individual possesses a positive right against others, then they are required to perform some action with respect to the rights holder. For instance, my right to life construed as a negative right is tantamount to a right not to have my life destroyed or threatened.

All that an individual’s negative rights can require of other people is that they leave that individual alone—that they leave him to the peaceful enjoyment of what is legitimately his. In contrast, my right to life construed as a positive right entails that I have a right to be provided with life (i.e., to be provided with the necessities of life). If I have positive rights against another, then his merely leaving me alone violates my rights.
I'm gonna leave you alone to enjoy what's yours, beyond that you are on your own. I didn't take you to raise.

Back
Top Bottom