• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Roof Poll.

What roof type do you like.

• Total voters
If I trust the roofer I would prefer a metal roof because it looks great. I went with architectural shingles because I was on the fence about my builder.

21st year with a metal roof. Had to do minor repairs 2-3 times in that span but never a leak (knocking on wood right now).

That being said, certain homes look better with shingles and certain holes look better with metal. Installed correctly, I’m sure they’re all very good.

Many years ago I help farmer (hunting property bud) reroof a hay barn with metal roofing. The instructions were to place long special screws through the ridge of the metal piece. This apparently prevents leaks as the water is running down the valley. That barn roof is still intact, and dry inside. I guess like many things in life, technique goes a long way.

Different metal panel profiles call for different installation styles.

If you follow the procedure recommended by the manufacturer , your roof will last.

I just replaced my original roof of 28 yeas with arch shingles. Looks much better than the 3 tab original. I put a metal rook on my pole barn myself in 04 and so far so good.

Standard 3 tab lasted 18yrs on my roof. I looked at the options of metal or architectural. One other thing I considered was resale of my home. If I had the only roof that was metal it could be good or bad. Several of the homes had architectural so I stayed with that. Either way it depends on who does the install as to how long it lasts. Like one home builder told me "if you here the nail gun go bap bap bap instead of bap bap bap bap bap then you need to fire them".

Grew up in roofing industry and have done many over 45 years. The metal unless it is standing seam will develop issues with scews in time. I just had to replace a large section on my mother in laws ( the screws ) but has been on 22 years. It will also fade , the darker colors quicker however shingles also fade. The metal is dangerous to get on if you clean gutters from roof ( keep feet dry ) it come down to what you want. Both have their own problems

I chose metal roofs; but not just the normal metal roof. For me, it would have to be metal shingles. I just found out about them; and have no idea what they cost. The only thing that has kept me from getting a metal roof in the past was the flat slab-like appearance. Metal shingles do away with that drawback.

Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 2.06.47 PM.png

I chose metal roofs; but not just the normal metal roof. For me, it would have to be metal shingles. I just found out about them; and have no idea what they cost. The only thing that has kept me from getting a metal roof in the past was the flat slab-like appearance. Metal shingles do away with that drawback.

View attachment 2581523
Definitely a great option but they are expensive

Back
Top Bottom