• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger 10-22 and CCI Quiet ammo............................Question

6FCCE77D-EC58-4DD6-A11E-339E099EC62A.jpeg
2AEF8CBA-1AD8-4DCB-84FB-E00B42E57530.jpeg

This thread made me want to shoot my two Ruger 10/22's with CCI Quiet ammo in the backyard.

Both of my guns' bolts have been radiused on the back bottom corner, supposedly to make them cawk the hammer with less effort. The recoil springs are originsl, and one is 33 years old while the other is 26 years. Both have seen a lot of use.

But that was still not enough to cycle with CCI Quiet. The empty cases didn't even partially eject; they stayed solidly in the chamber after shooting. that is, until I tipped the rifle to the side and manually worked the bolt charging handle as if I were shooting a straight pull bolt-action rifle.

That worked pretty well.

P.S. With or without my silencer, it worked exactly the same --no cycling, no ejection.
The silencer (AAC Pilot .22lr suppressor) didn't seem to have much effect when I was shooting totally outdoors, but when I shot from inside the garage at the backstop that was out in the backyard, I could tell that it was quieter with the suppressor.

I don't understand why there is so much interest in this ammo. There is plenty of subsonic .22lr ammo out there that doesn't need all these special modifications to your rifle to function properly.

My go to squirrel ammo is CCI Subsonic HP Segmented and it runs great in my stock 10/22. It's so quiet, even without a suppressor, that I've killed squirrels without even disturbing other squirrels in the same tree.

I don't understand why there is so much interest in this ammo. There is plenty of subsonic .22lr ammo out there that doesn't need all these special modifications to your rifle to function properly.

My go to squirrel ammo is CCI Subsonic HP Segmented and it runs great in my stock 10/22. It's so quiet, even without a suppressor, that I've killed squirrels without even disturbing other squirrels in the same tree.

Probably mainly for neighborhood quietness (such as my use).
I shoot this stuff suppressed out of my 77/22 and it is stupid silent.....like a weak fart! All you hear is hammer drop and plate ding!!
CCI Standard Velocity out of my 10/22's and 15/22 is great suppressed.
OP let us know what it takes to get your 10/22 running with it.

Probably mainly for neighborhood quietness (such as my use).
I shoot this stuff suppressed out of my 77/22 and it is stupid silent.....like a weak fart! All you hear is hammer drop and plate ding!!
CCI Standard Velocity out of my 10/22's and 15/22 is great suppressed.
OP let us know what it takes to get your 10/22 running with it.
Cool. Try some of the normal CCI subsonic out of your suppressed 77/22 and tell us if there is a noticeable difference from the Quiet.

I just plan on operating my 10/22 manually with the Quiet ammo.

As far as I know, there are three types of CCI 22 which are “quiet” ammo:
CB’s: no powder and a 29 grain bullet, subsonic, 710fps
Quiet: a lightly loaded 40 grain bullet, subsonic, 710fps
Subsonic: full pressure load, heavy bullet for slower velocity.

None of them would cycle my 10/22 without modifying the bolt and spring. Unfortunately, my 10/22 was never reliable at cycling or ignition with any ammo, until I radiused the back of the bolt. Now it runs great with any full power ammo that I have tried. This gun is about 20 years old.

I tried the CCI quiet in my Ruger Mark IV with a sico sparrow on it.. Had no problems ejecting it thru the whole small box .. maybe the difference in pistol and rifle... That stuff is extremely quiet

I used some more CCI "Quiet" ammo today, shooting that suppressed 10/22 rifle at 100 yards.
First, I tested the zero with standard velocity loads. The gun was zeroed for 100 yards already with such ammo.
It was quiet. I fired a few High Velocity rounds to hear the difference, and there was a HUGE difference. THe suppressor didn't seem to have much sound reduction on the high velocity rounds fired from my rifle.

But with CCI standard velocity and RWS subsonic, it was nice and quiet and I was ringing the 12" steel gong every shot at 100 yards.

So I tried some QUIET rounds, with the suppressor still on. I aimed 18" above the gong and got hits every time.
They were STUPID QUIET. Sounded like just the pop of the priming compound in the rim of the case. Just a gentle little "puff". No action noise-- the bolt did not cycle. THese Quiet rounds had to be cycled by hand.

They took noticeably longer to hit the gong, and they moved it less. Barely got it swaying.

Back
Top Bottom