• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger 10/22 Misfires. Need fix

ghoterman

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I have a 10/22 that misfires probably 10-20% of a magazine. I've taken it apart, cleaned it very well, changed ammo, but it still happens. Bullets, out of the same boxes, fire with no problem in other guns. Any ideas?

Have you dry fired it a bunch? Also, I know people hate directions, but make sure it was re assembled correctly.

By misfire, do you mean the round chambers and it won't go bang or other problems as well?

Is it w/ the stock 10-rounder? If you've ever disassembled the mag, there is an exact amount the spring has to be wound when reassembling, for it to feed correctly.

What mags are you using? If you are using an aftermarket one with plastic lips, they tend to not feed as well. Use one with steel lips (butler creek or ruger bx 25). A couple of things you can do....

1.)Check if you have any wobble at all in your mags. If you do, you can remove some material from the mag release to make the mags hold tighter. Just search youtube on how to do it. If you screw up, the release only costs a few dollars to replace

2.)Change out your extractor for a precision one. They can be purchased for under $15 online.

3.)Polish the bolt and/or inside of the receiver to smooth everything out.

4.)Change out your firing pin for a better one

I have the same issue, in my case the firing pin isn't making full contact. The same (mis-fired) round fires perfectly in a .22LR pistol I have. I've not yet ordered a new firing pin, that's to come.

I had problems once with an older 10/22. I ended up disassembling the bolt and cleaning the crud out of the firing pin channel- no problems after that. Just be careful with that little flat spring under the firing pin.

I thought possible mag problem too, but he said misfire. Makes me think that either the firing pin is worn/damaged or as dial1911 noted, inadequate cleaning of the firing pin slot.

We need more details!!! Lol

The only problem I've ever had with Ruger .22's ( 10-22 or MK2) is after a lot of shooting, the .22 being a dirty little buggar, fouls up the internals. It's pretty easy to tell & it's time to take it in , strip it , & clean her up really good.

The only problem I've ever had with Ruger .22's ( 10-22 or MK2) is after a lot of shooting, the .22 being a dirty little buggar, fouls up the internals. It's pretty easy to tell & it's time to take it in , strip it , & clean her up really good.

This will probably fix it. If it has been fired a bunch, pull the bolt and really clean the cak out. .22LR is filthy, dirty little round but I still love it!

If the clean up fails try a few factory magazines and if possible different ammo. Return and provide pics of just what it is doing, where the round is when it fails to fire or if it won't feed correctly.

Back
Top Bottom