• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger 10/22 Misfires. Need fix

I shoulda been more specific. The rounds chamber good out of the mag. The Firing pin makes contact with the bullet and dents it but it doesn't fire. Before you say "bad ammo", the round will fire in another gun. If you inspect and compare the dent on the misfire round with one that fired successfully in the same 10/22, you can see that it's a "soft" hit. I disassembled the gun, cleaned the heck out of it with the same results. Replacing the firing pin sounds like the next step??

I shoulda been more specific. The rounds chamber good out of the mag. The Firing pin makes contact with the bullet and dents it but it doesn't fire. Before you say "bad ammo", the round will fire in another gun. If you inspect and compare the dent on the misfire round with one that fired successfully in the same 10/22, you can see that it's a "soft" hit. I disassembled the gun, cleaned the heck out of it with the same results. Replacing the firing pin sounds like the next step??

Mildly peen the firing pin tip a tad prior, for a few thousands extra reach, lightly sand the firing pin and the firing pin channel and try again.

If fails replace firing pin and spring.

Last edited:
Pull the bolt
Carefully drive out the roll pin that holds the firing pin
Clean both thoroughly
Reassemble.

Had one doing the same thing a few months ago and this did the trick.
Just pay attention to the direction of the roll pin and make shure to put it back the same way.

Sorry for the vague reply, I sent this to you in a PM but this is fairly generic to any rim fire with a flat firing pin.

ghoterman said:
You commented on my post to "mildly peen the firing pin" I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you explain?

Yes sir.

An old trick to increase tolerances slightly was to take a punch and peen the metal. Not enough to weaken it significantly but enough to grow it a few thousands.

From your description you have one or more of three likely issues:

1). The firing pin is/has been shortened. Repeated dry firing, too soft of steel or slightly out of spec or a combination of those.

2). The firing pin spring is weak. Many, many repeated compress/releases of the spring will fatigue a spring and a new one will be required. If the gun has not really seen a lot of use it may be the spring was not properly tempered/annealed. Not common today but very possible.

3). A machine bur in the firing pin or spring channel or on the firing pin that prevents a nearly friction free path to the case rim can slow the pin down. At first, with a fresh spring it may function fine but as the spring wears it will eventually fail fairly quickly.

Polishing the firing pin channel and firing pin may be all you need. I would try it first. If it fails then peening the firing pin is the next logical choice. Measure it with dial calipers, peen it and measure it to see the amount it grew. It will grow 360 degrees so you will need to flat block sand the high points back down to flush with the rest of the metal and polish it a bit.

If that fails simple replace the spring and firing pin, especially if it's seen a lot of use. The cost is minimal and easy to fix.

Here is a clarification pic:

i61.tinypic.com_2j5jbfb.jpg

Bolt disassembly: http://drfrankenruger.com/dr_frankenruger_ruger_1022_disassembly__assembly_m anual/ruger_1022_bolt_disassembly_and_assembly

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a lot of the same trouble from my 10-22. There is a web forum called RimFireCentral, check it out.

Mine would missfire just as yours does. Sometimes, it was bad ammo.--Remington Bulk-- Just because it fires in a second gun does not prove that the ammo was good. Ruger uses a narrow faced firing pin. Sometimes the ammo's primer compound does not get evenly dispersed in the 22's rim and there are dead spots. The more narrow the FP the more likely it is to hit a dead spot.

The cure for my gun was avoiding Remington Bulk Packs, and keeping the FP clean. I also rounded the aft lower end of the bolt to enable the bolt to slide over the hammer more easily in the event that a light loaded round is fired.

To cure my feed problems, I gave up on the rotary mags and bought some "Steel Lips"--the ruger BX25 would be a good choice.

The gun has worked pretty well for me since these changes were made.

Back
Top Bottom