• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger American Rifle?

dawgs511

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
Has anybody bought or handled one of these new guns yet? I know Adventure Outdoors has them for sale the 17th-19th for $329 as their "Ruger weekend" advertisement. How do they compare to similarly priced guns such as the Marlin X7, Savage Axis, etc?

Picked one up today in .308. Call before you go there, they were flying off the shelf at lunch time. My guess they are out by now. Gonna make 'em look bad for the next 2 "Ruger Days" unless they get more in.

The rifle is very light weight. It handles well and the fore end is tapered along the bottom reminding me of the way an AK fore end flares towards the bottom. Feels great in your hands. Bolt is smooth like butter. Trigger is a masterpiece (it's adjustable). Lock up is tight. From what I can tell from doing some research, this thing is sub-moa out of the box with the right ammo. Lots of neat features. Even got to talk to the CEO of Ruger while I was there. Nice guy.

I am not familiar with the other arms you mentioned, sorry. If you're coming to the meetup, let me know and I'll bring 'er along. Need to start putting rounds through her.

Let me tell you, Adventure Outdoors is a MUCH better place to do business from when I was there late last year. The folks behind the counter do a great job. Much, much improved from my experience there last year.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll actually be out of town during the meet up unfortunately. I'm debating between the .243 and the .308 right now. That would not look for them though if they run out before the "ruger days" sale. I might wait until closer to deer season to pick one up. Good to hear that the bolt is smooth and the trigger is good. Those were my two main points I wanted to hear back about.

Okay, so I finally got out to the range today with the twins visiting the grand parents. Finally got a chance to put some match grade ammo through 'er. I have a Redfield Revenge 6-18 x 44 scope on Leupold rings. Finished with the final tweaks on the scope and locked her down. Squeezed the trigger on a fresh target and you can see what happened at 100 yards. Was shooting at Charlie Elliott today with a light wind.

DISCLAIMER: This gun is better than I am. This was a lucky shot on my part. After I pulled the trigger and saw the results I put the gun away and started shooting 5.56 on another target. But it is what it is. With the right optic and ammo and if you do your part, the gun will certainly do its part. I painted the bull on these targets to make them show up better.

Attachments

• 308 100 yds.jpg
    308 100 yds.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom