• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Mini 14 question

yellowhammer

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
How often do you guys field-strip your minis?I put a scope on mine,got the bolt out,but had to remove the scope to get the bolt back in.If I need to completely field strip it every time I shoot it,the scope will stay off.

I personally field strip mine after every range trip. I had a scope on mine but it was just getting so old taking it off. I finally added a ultimak scout mount. I really do enjoy that mount.

I used to clean mine after every range trip whenever possible. Detail stripping & especially reassembly of the mini 14's bolt is a bear regardless. However it IS possible to disassemble/reassemble with the scope on (I was using the Ruger proprietary scope rings & a Tasco 3 X 9 X 40). Practice makes perfect. Also as things loosen up with normal wear & tear it will become easier to do. Just my 2 cents. No need to dump the scope.

Last edited:
If you remove the bolt catch plate and then the bolt catch itself you should be able to remove the bolt without having to remove the scope.

You are right. I forgot to mention that.

There are some "cheap" (NcStar) scopes & scope mounts that actually attach to the Mini 14 at the bolt catch plate. That might explain why the OP is having to remove the scope in order to reassemble the bolt to the rifle.

Stay away from scopes that mount at the bolt catch plate.

Getting the bolt OUT with the scope on wasn`t a big deal,but it would not go back IN with the scope on.I have RUGER factory mounts.I field stripped after after firing almost 100 rounds and found no residue in the gun.I put the scope back on and I ain`t gonna field strip it for a while.As the man says you can pretty well clean it without removing the bolt,anyway.Thanks,guys,for the input.

I clean mine about every 6mos, or after every other range day. If I do clean it after shooting for whole day, I just use a bore snake and some break free, it dissovles the main stuff and I add some oil. Its been running flawlessly that way for over 10yrs and countless rounds

Back
Top Bottom