Ruger Rehab!.....New Progress pics.... DONE!!!

Thanks guys,

Had a chance to spend a few hours on the Ruger today. Finished polishing the barrel/ reciever. This is carbon steel and will be blued next weekend. I really wanted to go for that deep gloss black look like colts "royal blue" So I spent a little extra time getting this polished up. As I understand it, high polished parts take a litttle extra time in the salts to get completely blued, so It will be interesting to see what happens.

First step was to hit the whole thing with a Scotch Brite wheel on the angle grinder.

six10.jpg

Once all the surface rust is gone and it looks pretty clean, its on to the sanding.... Basically the same process as the grip frame. There were a lot of tool marks and un-even surfaces that caused a lot of work, but after a while, it started to look good.

Here it is when I took a break after 800 grit wet sanding.

six11.jpg

After that, I wet to 1000 grit, and started polishing, on the steel, I used white polish compound (as apposed to red rouge). came out great.
Ive just got a few small bits like the hammer and loading gate to do, so it should be done tomorrow giving me a few days to focus on the Fusion 1911 and getting that ready for blue.

six12.jpg

six13.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking very good!! Well done. I like polishing and extra fine finish on the metal. I might hit you up one day and get a few pointers for my next project.

That's going to be one fine looking .22. Are you going to polish the ejector housing too? How about your front sight-silver solder?

Yep, the ejector housing is aluminum so its all polished up like the grip frame :D

As far as the front sight, Im lucky since this is the "super" with adjustable rear sight, its got a removable front patridge sight.

Thanks guys, just a hobbyist.
I just do this for fun. I have an addiction to working with my hands and solving problems. I'm an aircraft mechanic and have been doing Vintage restoration work for years. I can't remember a time since childhood that I didn't have some sort of project like this going on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom