• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger SR1911 Question (Malfunction)

sunchile2000

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
I have a new SR1911 I took to the range last week. In the first mag I had 5 of the rounds stovepipe, I took it home, cleaned and oiled it and took it back to the range today. The first mag shot with no problems, the second mag started the stove piping again. I used Chip McCormick mags, and shot Winchester white box ammo through it. I've emailed Ruger about it, waiting for a reply, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. My other 1911's have no issues using this mag/ammo combo, only my SR1911. Any suggestions would be helpful.

You said its cleaned and oiled, but have you checked your extractor tension?
2. Put a piece of tape on the mag in question and label it (bad), then next time at the range, using the same ammo, use the known good mags. Run about 50 or so, then switch to the issue mag. If the mag causes the issue, see about a replacement, mags are the Achilles heel of 1911's.

You said its cleaned and oiled, but have you checked your extractor tension?
2. Put a piece of tape on the mag in question and label it (bad), then next time at the range, using the same ammo, use the known good mags. Run about 50 or so, then switch to the issue mag. If the mag causes the issue, see about a replacement, mags are the Achilles heel of 1911's.
Some say they have to break in others say they should be right from the first shot.This above from Meatwadttm seems to be a good idea also shoot some hotter ammo. If I ever have problems with a semi-auto it is with WWB.

It is not at all unusual for a new gun to stovepipe. The recoil spring is stiff and is snapping back the slide too fast. I would Try swapping out the spring from one of your other 1911 and see if it still does it. I suspect that when the spring relaxes a bit with use it will stop doing it.

I'd be willing to bet its the magazine. It's almost always the magazine. Try using the mags it came with, or try Wilson Combat if you must go aftermarket. I had problems with Chip McCormick mags before too.

Back
Top Bottom