• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger SR1911 Question (Malfunction)

What does the malfunction look like? Is it mainly just closing on the spent brass while also trying to slide the new round into the chamber?

Mags don't cause Stovepipe malfunctions. They do cause failure to feed malfunctions.

Recoil spring and/or extractor tension is probably your issue.

From Hilton Yams 10-8 forum, subject... 1911 malfunctions

Type III, Double Feed or Failure to Extract: This is technically a failure to extract, but is also commonly referred to as a double feed due to the feeding of a second round where one is already in place. This is indicative of the most profound of extractor failures, either the absence of the hook or loss of tension.

Last edited:
I have a RIA compact .45 as my EDC that I (being a dunce-head new 1911 owner) tried to chamber rounds that were already in the chamber...big time no-no for a 1911.

If you are a new 1911 owner and read this - ONLY chamber rounds from a magazine. Don't just plop one into the chamber and close the slide!

Using cheap mags (not Wilson) the last round fired would try to reload itself back into the mag. Not exactly a stovepipe and it only seemed to do it on the cheap (CDNN) mags that I had. Then I watched the whole "how to tune your extractor" videos. My extractor wouldn't even hold a round when you did the manual test...D'oh.

But the adjustments are easy to make. Meeting some buddies at the range tomorrow to make sure my adjustments were correct. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all the great info guys - I will try the factory mags as a start - I've been using the McCormick mags in all my other 1911's - all well used, not new - and see if this will take care of the problem. If not will switch out the spring and see how she runs - the videos are great - thanks for the help!

When you say you cleaned it, do you mean like a quick wipe-down, or do you mean you broke it all the way down to the bare frame and slide? I know Ruger likes to use that thick orange gunk on their new guns. Probably best to make sure you get it out of every nook & cranny possible.

Mine came with a heavy slide/recoil spring. I'm guessing it to be a 20+ lb spring.

While I shot a few with the original spring, I quickly replaced it with the industry standard for a 45 Govt. Model 16 lb one.

If yours is like mine with a heavy spring, it may be short strokin' with lower powered ammo. Ruger must anticipate folks using ++P++ ammo in them.

Back
Top Bottom