• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger SR1911

to me there really isn't much difference.
the grip/ mag is the same length and that's what is normally the hardest to conceal if that's an issue.
weight savings is about like removing 3-4 rounds from your Government 1911.
Now when you move to a Officer model or defender , now you notice a difference, especially IF its an alloy frame.
I 99% of the time now carry a CZ P-01 but when I do feel like toting a 1911 its normally my Alloy framed officers model. nice flat, light weight, compact weapon.
IF I remember that ones like 23 ounces with an empty mag.
about half the weight of a Government steel frame and a lot shorter as well.
I don't mind the grip printing a little when I carry iwb. For the most part, only other people that edc would notice or know what it is.
I've looked at a few officers, but there seems to be lots and lots of negative reviews for reliability with 3 or 3.5 inch.

I usually carry a full size 1911 so I am comfortable with it already but I carried my wife's Pro Carry 4in 1911 last week. I wanted to see how it felt and it was a bigger difference than I anticipated the shorter barrel length made driving and sitting more comfortable. I use a Galco Triton and 1 3/4 Nylon Galco Gunbelt .
That's what I was looking for, thank you!
I went from the smaller, much lighter g19 to a 5" 1911 so maybe that's why it's been awkward for me. Sitting and driving are my biggest concerns, otherwise the full size is fine. I think the commander will be much better.

Most folks start out carrying big guns. After years(or less)of carrying,most folks go to smaller guns. By this time these some folks can hit as well with the smaller gun,also. I carry everywhere every day. When it became legal to carry concealed in Georgia,I went to big guns,also,after carrying illegally for decades,using .22s,.25s,.32s and .38s. When I got a CWL,I immediately started carrying a full size 9mm. I was a PI,and soon downsized to a Colt Detective Special. More comfortable. Through the years I leaned more toward comfort,all the time tuning my shooting to where I could hit consistently with the smaller gun. I now mostly carry a Glock 43 in my pocket,of which I am very proficient out to 25 yards.

I don't mind the grip printing a little when I carry iwb. For the most part, only other people that edc would notice or know what it is.
I've looked at a few officers, but there seems to be lots and lots of negative reviews for reliability with 3 or 3.5 inch.

MY first Officers model, a Colt in stainless was a no go in reliability, a trip back to Colt, a trip to my gunsmith and me looking at it resulted in about a 99% reliability rate if you used FMJ, if hollow points then that dropped to about 75-80%.
I sold the gun to a buddy that wanted it regardless of the history.
fast forward a few years and I now have a Springfield micro Compact (officers size) and a ATI Titan (defender size) that's 100% with anything I so far have put in them. but I hear what you are saying, but design/changes have made things a lot better in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom