• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger SR22 Pistol -Review & Range Report

Okuma

Space Force Icon Supporter
crocodylus pontifex
Staff member
Administrator
275   0
Reaction score
I took my new SR22 pistol out to the range today and wanted to give you guys a short report on it.

Price: I picked this up last night for $360 out the door. You can find them cheaper and you can find them for way more.

What’s in the box?: The gun comes in the standard Ruger white cardboard box. It comes with two grip “sleeves,” two magazines, and two magazine baseplates with pinky extensions. The magazine base plates are very easy to switch out. Magazine capacity is 10 rds. Standard three dot sights.

Ergonomics: The ergonomics are fantastic and it comes with two different grip “sleeves” so you can adjust the grip size. These work better than the replaceable back straps on so many guns today as it replaces the entire grip area, not just the back of it. The gun is pretty small, probably the same general size as the Walther P22.

Performance: When I got it home last night I cleaned up all the factory grease and applied a little bit of oil. Today I took it out put exactly 500 rounds through it.

First 100 rounds there were 0 failures of any kind. From 101 to 500 there were a total of four failures: three failures to feed, and one failure to eject. I think that is pretty darn good! I was shooting Federal “Value Pack” 22lr that I got at Walmart for $19 (550 rounds).

The gun shoots really well, right out of the box I was able to reliably hit steel targets at approx. 10 yards. Was also able to hit a small steel target at 50yds+ 3 out of 10 tries.

Overall Impression: This gun is really great! If I can get a less than 1% failure rate with cheap 22 ammo I am happy. If you can find one at a good price you should definitely consider picking it up.

Here is a horrible picture of the gun and the ammo I was using:

download.jpg

I purchase a SR22 about 2 months ago for 320 out the door at the Basspro in Lawrenceville.

Steve has already mentioned what comes in the box and that it is accurate and reliable(which is really saying something for a 22, especially with cheap ammo)

I have just over 700 rounds through mine at this point with only a few failure to feed and they where ammo related(remington golden bullets, it cycles them but some don't provide enough recoil for proper stripping of the next round.)

The gun is accurate, reliable, and comfortable. The small grip will probably be appreciated by the younger shooters or just those with small hands while the larger grip is adequate for all but the biggest hands.

The double action trigger pull is pretty outrageous but single action isn't bad at all.

I came to the same conclusion as Steve...if you come across one at a good price I'd recommend picking it up and giving it a try, you won't be disappointed!

And for those who like the P22 because of the threaded barrel, I spoke with Ruger through email and they are planning on releasing a threaded barrel model and upgrade part.

I had an SR22 for about 3 days. Didn't plan on getting rid of it, but I let my father-in-law shoot it. He fell in love with it and.. Long story short, he now has an SR22 and I have a 22/45. (this was when they were still hard to find)

Back
Top Bottom