• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rule Change

We need more members like Bubbadawg. He had an ad up. I offered him a few bucks less via pm. He took the offer. Then another member posted that he would take it for full price is his thread not knowing we had just sealed a deal but he still met me and sold it to me because he accepted my offer. Standup!!

Yea, thats why I like the price listed. If the guy wants $450 and you offer him $450, it's should be over. I just don't like submitting a bid. That is really all you are doing if there is no price listed. The seller just waits until he sees who offers the most money. I have picked up some great deals by simply saying "I'll take it" for the price they had listed.

I think this is unfortunate. It will surely lead to auctions seen or not.
Anyone offering a "bid" to someone who did not post a price can expect to wait for a response while the poster waits for better offers. (Been there, seen that.)

We need more members like Bubbadawg. He had an ad up. I offered him a few bucks less via pm. He took the offer. Then another member posted that he would take it for full price is his thread not knowing we had just sealed a deal but he still met me and sold it to me because he accepted my offer. Standup!!

You can't beat a man of his word!

not many men of their word anymore. i had a gun listed that had several folks wanting me to hold a few days. used to be no problem. now i've been burned so much, i don't hold a gun for anyone unless i know them. pretty sad. luckily a guy i've dealt with many times stepped up.

Yea, thats why I like the price listed. If the guy wants $450 and you offer him $450, it's should be over. I just don't like submitting a bid. That is really all you are doing if there is no price listed. The seller just waits until he sees who offers the most money. I have picked up some great deals by simply saying "I'll take it" for the price they had listed.

I asked our corp attorney about this awhile back and his opinion was. If the site is primarily a trading site, you negotiate for an item and make a deal or post/pm "I'll take it" to an ad you just created a legal contract in the state of GA. Of course there were qualifications, both parties have to be legally able to enter into a contract, legally able to own the item, probably have to subpoena site records to establish who was first in line, product was misrepresented, ect. The long and short of it was, on trading sites if you say "I'll take it" you could be sued if you don't follow through.

The law is different for sites that are primarily discussion forums that also have a classifieds section, for whatever reason no legally binding contract is formed on those sites in the state of GA.

just a heads up to non price poster's if you don't post a price you won't sell it to me....(unless it's something i have to have.... not much is though)

I am concerned about this becoming an auction site if the rule changes. While I have not personally experienced what I am concerned about, I have heard others speak of it. While in reality it is still the sellers right to change his or her mind on any offer, I just think that changing the rule will have consequences that all of us will not like. I will work within any framework that you deem correct, King, but I personally like to see the asking price and the trade value listed on the post.

One thing I could do is restore the rule but only selectively enforce it, like only when someone keeps doing it or tries to start an auction.

I do not really have a problem with someone taking offers through PM, I've done that myself. On the last few things I've traded I have told people that I will wait a day or so to see what offers come in.

Back
Top Bottom