• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W 500 kit?

glockathirty

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Ok I know very little only done some shotgun loading so im basically brand new to reloading.
I want to reload S&W 500 loads but im not finding too much info .
What I would like to do is find a complete kit .. Something like a Dillon 550 set up for this load. It seems like I have to find a loader.. then look for dies and conversion this and that.
And finding components is a challenge to as I see it. Soo Im just wondering if you guys have anything to offer as far as where to buy either a complete set up or at least get me on track to the parts ill need. As I see it if I have the tools I can dig up components here and there . I know im wanting to get into reloading a beast .. but hey thats where im at .. thanks in advance.

A dillon is a great piece of equipment. Pricey but good. You need a press, powder scales, dies set of calipers and most important is a reloaders manual. Rcbs rock chucker kit has just about everything in it except dies. Dillon sells a kit also. Up to you on price both are good presses. One is Simi progressive and the other is not.

I have a powder scale and calipers. I guess im leaning on the dillon just because out of all of them i dont see any bad reviews .. and hickok45 likes em lol
so i purchase the press and dies and im good?.. or at least a good start.

I have a powder scale and calipers. I guess im leaning on the dillon just because out of all of them i dont see any bad reviews .. and hickok45 likes em lol
so i purchase the press and dies and im good?.. or at least a good start.
For dillon buy it with the 500 conversion kit and pick up a set of dies. Any die set will work and you will be off and running. I use a dillon 750 I wish I had spent the money years ago. I still use a single stage to work up loads and most rifle.

i would start first buying primers, powder, brass, and bullets. then find someone to show you how to reload. then you can start the hunt for equipment.

i would start first buying primers, powder, brass, and bullets. then find someone to show you how to reload. then you can start the hunt for equipment.
I've been looking for that stuff but Im not sure which to buy as there is a few options.. I just need to find someone who is doing it and learn from them I guess.

I reload for the 500 single stage and will not be doing it on a progressive press. Twenty or 30 full house loads is all I need in a day. It's a very accurate cartridge.

You better find you some LRM primers before you even think about trying to start loading! They, along with any other primer and many powders, are scarce as hen’s teeth.

Also, the best way to get into reloading is to buy a manual.

Honestly, I'd recommend buying a cheap single stage to learn on especially for the 500. A lot can go wrong quickly on a progressive press with 4 and 5 steps taking place at once.
You can always use the single stage later on for a number of uses.

Back
Top Bottom