• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W Mod 29 front sight

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I have come into a new ( to me) Model 29. It is a modern version, feels sort of cheap, but it is what it is. :violin:
It has the standard ramp front sight with red insert, pinned into the base,
I would like to replace it with something similar to the Hi Viz. I have no idea if I have a "DX type interchangeable front sight".

Anyway, if any one could advance my search with a suggestion of something that will work, please post.
SWN3002.jpg

HI VIZ sight

The DX front sight, if I recall correctly, had a plunger that was pressed in from the front to release the front sight so it could be removed. That is what is pictured in your post.

If it is a simple pinned Front Sight, try this:

Just measure your Front Sight so that you can duplicate it OR make gross adjustments by buying something different than OEM-standard.

The DX front sight, if I recall correctly, had a plunger that was pressed in from the front to release the front sight so it could be removed. That is what is pictured in your post.

If it is a simple pinned Front Sight, try this:

Just measure your Front Sight so that you can duplicate it OR make gross adjustments by buying something different than OEM-standard.
thanks. It's actually a Model 69, but pinned in the traditional way as far as I can tell.

My new 629 is pinned, whereas my new 610 has the DX style.

Quick test is press on the front face of the front sight, pushing straight back towards the cylinder. If it budges, DX. If it's solid, pinned.

I have the HiViz green fiber on my 610 and it is excellent! I really want to put one on my 617 and 629, but I don't feel like tackling the pinned configuration quite yet.

Back
Top Bottom