• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sad new 9mm host.

vinhtvu2

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
Well, I was at a gun show and thought I got a deal on a 92FS with threaded barrel and 4 mags.

I inspected the gun pretty thourough... but it has a thread protector on it with a allen lock, so I wasn't able to see the actual threads. Noob mistake.

Well, the threads are pretty much jacked up. From what I can tell, the thread protector is not 1/2x28. It's something slightly larger.
Someone tried to screw a 1/2x28 device onto the barrel though, and it look like they managed to force it on for about three rotations. The first three rotations are now 1/2x28. The middle is thicker, but jacked up (possibly from someone trying to remove the thread protector without removing the locking allen nut). The end third is fine, in whatever threading the thread protector is threaded to.

So basically, the thread protector will slip right over the first 2/3 of the barrel threading, and start locking once it get to the last 1/3.

If I take a 1/2x28 threaded protector, it'll go on for about 3 rotations.

My question:

Can I take it to a smith and have him try to thread it all down to 1/2x28??

It shoots fine now, just cant get a suppressor on it. I dont have one yet anyway, so it's not a pressing issue... but that's the main reason I bought this thing. Should I just go ahead and invest in another threaded barrel? They're hard to find for this 92FS, and expensive.

View attachment 171778View attachment 171779

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhh Taurus is just in there for comparison. Cool thing is my Lasermax for my Taurus fits on the Beretta 92 and functions fine.

I think the barrel is pretty much identical as well.

sounds like the threads are jacked up beyond repair. If the can does not allign correct you could get a baffle strike. I would not risk it. buy another barrel, have it threaded and use that one as an extra.

Beretta 92 threaded barrels are not hard to find. Tornado technologies can thread a new one (barrels can be found in many places online). It does not cost a whole bunch either. They do top notch work. Last I checked their wait times are kinda up there but they are worth the wait.

Last edited:
Yeah any Smith would be very weary about re-threading that. I agree with Soviet, its better to eat the cost and learn the lesson than destroy your hand or baffles.

Back
Top Bottom