• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safety Question

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
The other day at the range I had two rounds that did not fire. The primers looked like they were hit well and deep, but dead. In todays climate I was wanting to take the rounds apart to save the brass, but have always been shy and afraid of rounds like this, wondering if just a little shake or something could make it fire, exploding like a granade. I tried holding it gently and pulling the bullet with pliars, but wouldn't work. I do have a bullet puller that you strike on the floor, but afraid to use that. What do you think, would it bee safe to do it that way?

Your impact puller will work, just tap on a cement floor. I use that or the collet type puller on the reloading press. Depending on the bullet shape it can be hard to get a grip with pliers or a collet bullet squeezer, like Hornady.

The other day at the range I had two rounds that did not fire. The primers looked like they were hit well and deep, but dead. In todays climate I was wanting to take the rounds apart to save the brass, but have always been shy and afraid of rounds like this, wondering if just a little shake or something could make it fire, exploding like a granade. I tried holding it gently and pulling the bullet with pliars, but wouldn't work. I do have a bullet puller that you strike on the floor, but afraid to use that. What do you think, would it bee safe to do it that way?

If it was going to hang fire and not just be a dud it would have done it within a short amount of time; pull as normal.

Make sure you have eyes and ears just incase something does get squirrely. A full face shield with a heavy jacket and some blue jeans if you're super worried. Worst case would be plastic shrapnel from the impact puller. Not gonna be lethal but may require some bandaids.

As was said I'd try firing the rounds a few times. If they don't go off after 2 or 3 whacks the primer is dead and nothing besides open flame is gonna get that round to go off.

numatic puller works for me in that situation. I picked up a bunch of rounds from a range before that all had struck primers and pulled the bullets and kept the brass. With how a primer works if it didn't go off you don't have to worry about much also a numatic puller does not enclose the round like a barrel.

Back
Top Bottom