• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safety Question

Just for clarity: a kinetic bullet puller (the hammer type) is designed to be struck against wood, not concrete, an iron anvil, or other hard solid objects. They can shatter on impact with those kinds of materials.

Admittedly, I also use my anvil as a striking surface (just because it's there), but I don't hit it hard. I use a moderate force and allow it to bounce a couple of times, sort of like a snare drum.

I’ve seen many shooters open the bolt immediately after a round doesn’t fire I guess to inspect but that is dangerous if it is a hang fire. The op may already know this and let them sit in chamber with bolt closed a minute but others may not know. I like odt and hope all y’all keep your face/hands the way they came. As far as pulling bullet like others have said if it’s gonna happen it’s within a minute or so I’d pull it and move on.

From my experience I am ranking the bullet pullers I own and listing from best to least desirable to use based on if I have to pull say more than 5 bullets:
1. RCBS (die)
2. Lee or Hornady (die)
3. Hammer/ Kinetic style (any brand but my Frankfort has lasted longer than any).
4. Press/ plier method
5. Frankford Arsenal bullet puller- might as well use the kinetic hammer. It takes too long. (I do not own one).
If I have to pull 1 or 2 I use the kinetic as it faster than setting up the die/ collet puller.

The other day at the range I had two rounds that did not fire. The primers looked like they were hit well and deep, but dead. In todays climate I was wanting to take the rounds apart to save the brass, but have always been shy and afraid of rounds like this, wondering if just a little shake or something could make it fire, exploding like a granade. I tried holding it gently and pulling the bullet with pliars, but wouldn't work. I do have a bullet puller that you strike on the floor, but afraid to use that. What do you think, would it bee safe to do it that way?
Use your bullet puller, I’ve done hundreds, without issue..did u put it back in the gun and try running it again, just might fire!

Just put on some eye pro and maybe some ear pro when pushing the primers out. I haven't had one go off on me when pushing out live or dud primers, but 30 seconds of being slightly uncomfortable is an easy price to pay to be able to see and hear in the future.

I've had a few hang-fires in my life. Normally only one second, or a fraction thereof, between the click and the bang.
Had a 35-year old Remington .22LR standard velocity target round do that for me yesterday-- I heard the click and about 0.2 second later,
the round fired. It was a flyer on the target because of that.

Back
Top Bottom