• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sapelo Island

Check out Sherpa game carts. Strap your climber to the brackets & axle. Wheels come off. NC based & built there. Veteran owned. I can carry a dome tent Coleman stove 20# propane cylinder hunting accessories & clothes. I'm sure I had it overweight but it is a game cart.

http://sherpahunting.com

there is no ferry for ossabaw, you have to use your own boat or get a charter from kilkenny marina. as far as trash cans go on the ferry to sapelo. I would just call to be sure.

No trash cans anymore from the DNR guys mouth last years hunt.
Lots of guys used those small garden wagons with wheels attached on the ferry with no guff from anyone.
That seemed like the best way to tote your gear IMO.
Bring tent and camping gear.
Take the ferry.
It will drop You off at the landing and all the hunters help get everyone's gear uloaded and loaded on the truck/ trailers that drive you to camp at the landing dock.
You Pick out a numbered spot on the map where they drop you off one by one first day.
You scout your spot and set up your climber.
They pick you up at dark 30 one by one on the access road they dropped you off from.
The trees have the numbered spots on them.
Bring bright ribbon to mark your trail to your spot....you will need it as all the live oaks look the same and you can get turned around easily.
Bug spray or those heated element bug repellers are a must for the skeeters and chiggers.
Snake boots a must as they have a lot of 6' rattlers down there.
There was one across the road at my spot when they dropped me off for the evening hunt.
The deer there do look up so scent control is a must.
I bring burnt log remnants to leave in a triangular pattern 20 yards in each direction around my tree.
I saw a record buck two seasons ago and it looked right up at me once it broke through the palmettos and dashed into the woods.....next day I used the log remnants....biologist suggested that.
Deer were scarce that year but someone ended up shooting that record buck on the last day.
He wasn't big but his rack was enormous.
The guys that hunted the flat open areas closer to camp had the best luck getting deer.
Some years are very good where everyone maxes out of their quota while others suck like ours did.
Bright nights and lots of acorns keep the deer more nocturnal.
The deer are smart there and know the tricks of the hunters but don't seem to be bothered and are curious of burnt log remnants.
Take a good cooler for your food and don't eat like a pig so you don't have emergency bowel issues on stand.
Case your muzzleloader or bow nicely.
You will meet some serious redneck fellers down there that will kill and eat possum and coons.
Some of them party like madmen at night so bring earplugs to sleep better.
Talk to the wildlife biologist as much as possible....he's a really cool dude and knows that place well.
You will have a good time especially if you bag a deer or two.
They have gut cans to dress the deer back at camp with meat
Hooks and a covered pavilion to dress/ skin the animal.
Everyone helps everyone out so if you've never skinned and quartered a deer someone will be glad to help you and there are plenty of cool redneck dudes that can do it in their sleep.
Firewood can be scarce at camp so they may take a bunch of guys out to go collect wood with the truck and wagon.
The ferry ride is cool and you share the ride with locals.
We shared our last ride with a funeral procession so everything that happens on the island happens with the ferry.
Good luck and have fun!

One of the things I learned from the warden was hunt all day, we even would ride out when he went to pick up after the morning hunt and shoot deer mid day. You can BUY firewood from the locals most are descendants of Gullahs so you prolly wont understand a word they say.Nothing is cheap from the locals.Get in a climber and plan on staying up there.Those deer aint stupid they know exactly what is going on when the trailers and lights start bouncing through the trees.Have a good time.

We bought an entire truck bed of fire wood after we called some locals to drop it off, 20 bucks. All green, couldn't get it to burn. We bring fire wood in totes and ration it. By the time you get back skin deer and wash up its bed time any way .we didn't burn much wood. But the drunks that stay up till 2am always do.they don't get up at 430 like the rest of us and should be banned from the island. Especially when quiet time is 10pm.

Back
Top Bottom