Savage 11 question

Ken Ford

Default rank 5000+ posts
Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
175   0
Reaction score
Looking at one of these in the "Hog Hunter" package. Looks like what I am looking for.
Any thoughts on the Savage 11?

I've got the hog hunter 308 and it is very nice

The medium profile is great for dual use as target and hunting. Iron sights come off easy if you want.

CCF had a great price

While the stock is flimsy it is freefloated and lightweight. I actually like the factory stock.

The oversized bolt knob is tacticool and I like it

the threading is very nice.

I should have some first hand reports of how it shoots come Wednesday.

The 20" barrel is also nice.

For a cool 18" barrel 308 check out this marlin. Comes threaded with scope mount.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/10/11/marlin-x7-tactical-with-threaded-barrel/

Last edited:
The model 111s/11s are Savages hunting lineup for the most part. Very good rifles with more standard features than just about any other manufacturers offerings and for less money too. Though I don't own a "hog hunter" specifically I have several rifles based on the same action and they are everything I have come to expect from Savage. Super accurate, functional, feature laden and an excellent value, made in the USA. Many of the features on an out of the box factory Savage were specialized custom gunsmith options just a few years ago and still are on most of the competitors rifles. You can easily spend a lot more and get a lot less.
Just FYI the Axis series are not in the same league stay with a 10/110 based rifle and
Go for it

(I think once lax shoots his and finds a load it likes he'll rescind any other recommendations) If you want a "tactical rifle" check out the model 10PC and yes I do have one of those specifically.Accurate doesn't begin to describe it's performance. Precision carbine is exactly what it is.

Last edited:
My fun gun is built on an old 110 action .... thats all that Savage made for a while was the long action 110.

One thing about the Savage nutted barrel is that if you want to swap barrels in your garage .... no problem .... try that with a Remington and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom