• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on AR 10’s ?

alleycat

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
Cosmoline Junkie
902   0
Reaction score
I have an odt AR10 lower and I’m told it is a DPMS pattern. I’m not clear on which brand of uppers and lower parts kits will fit. I’ve read that there is no standard or universal spec on these.

<<<<<<. Milsurp guy here, not a lot of knowledge on black rifles. Looking to buy a factory-assembled upper.

Thanks!

Man you are into a new world of WTF right now. I ordered and sent back two Complete AR 10 uppers before I got one that fit my Aero M5 lower. To my knowledge there are 3 types or MORE of what will fit what. But you want to find an upper since you KNOW you have a DPMS pattern lower that will fit a "DPMS" pattern lower.

It is best to ask the guys you are ordering from when you order.

As the Evil Genius (mad man, I'd say) Bypass Bypass stated, I can tell you that it is often a shot in the dark. In AR10 varieties, I have Mega Arms (MATEN), PSA, Aero Precision, Daniel Defense, and a Troy (M10A1). With confidence, I can only say that my Aero and PSA uppers and lowers are compatible in that they will "fit together" and they can be "hand cycled" by manually running the BCG, although the match lines don't look great. I have not, however, yet tried firing the Aero and PSA combo, but plan to do so soon. I recently completed two new matching Aero M5 builds using Brownells BCGs and barrel assemblies (made by Faxon) and they would not consistently cycle at the range. Plan to go back with some mixed and matched pieces to see where the issue is.

Aero M5 upper and lower, fixed rifle stock/buffer assembly, 20" Brownells barrel and retro handguard below - one of two matching AR10s just completed using some of my "old stock" (pre-Covid) parts and pieces.
upload_2020-9-28_12-20-33.png

Budget $100 for the lower parts kit and buffer tube kit to complete the lower.
$500 for the upper w/ cheap flip up sites
More if you buy premium Gucci parts or want optics.
Buuuuut this will hold in value as the bottom tier ar10 makers DPMS/bushmaster went out of business and PSA thinks its mid tier. If you can build it for under $1000 its a win.

Back
Top Bottom