• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on Steel Targets

TacticalMountaineer

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
103   0
Reaction score
Got some personal land now that I am able to shoot on. Been looking at some different ways to set up targets and want to get some steel targets. The issue is I don't know much about them. I want to be able to shoot pistol rounds for close range but rifle rounds up to 308 with some distance. So my question is how thick do the targets need to be. Can I buy sheets and cut them myself since I have a buddy with that capability. Also where is a good place to buy some.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ar500-targets.1327150/#post-6689413

Pistols will be fine up fairly close and doesn't cause any real damage. However, my brother thought it would be a good idea to shoot these with a 223 at about 40 yards and put dents all over one side when I wasn't there. Rifle needs to be I think 100 yrds to be safe. Best way to paint this is safety paint in spray can from HD and draw faces on them.

Shooting steel is great, but be careful. Like Allsmiles Allsmiles said, 100 yards if you're shooting .223/5.56 or another rifle caliber. We were running some shooting/movement drills one time. Another guy hit steel with his .45 and a piece of steel ricocheted and missed my head by inches; I was probably 30-40 yards away. Last time I stand that close. Again, it's a lot of fun, but be safe and don't mess around....especially if your land is out there.

This question reminded me of this video:

If you want a fun and safe way for instant feedback up close, we also use balloons.....added benefit, the wind blows them around making practice a little more realistic. We usually staple them to para cord between targets.

Back
Top Bottom