• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on the Akorn

jamie1475

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
25   0
Reaction score
Ok guys. Bought an Akorn. Will assemble today and season it up. What do I need to know about temp control and overall operation? Will the temp guage be ok after calibrating? Can you even calibrate the one it comes with? I currently have a digital thermometer but it's only a meat probe kind and not for ambient temp. I do plan on getting a better Maverick. Any tips? This is the first kamado style grill I've ever attempted.

It should do just fine. Mike sure that you can close it/dampen it and that when you do, the coals will darken down and go out. If it won't seal off well, consider using some felt gasket to get a better seal established. Seasoning the inside will take time. Regular use will do just that. Cook with too much heat and the inside will be dry. Getting the temp set right will cause the inside to get a god glossy -looking build up. That is what you want. Avoid using the lighter fluid and any instant light charcoal.
Use lump coal or wood of your choosing. You and your family will enjoy it.

It should do just fine. Mike sure that you can close it/dampen it and that when you do, the coals will darken down and go out. If it won't seal off well, consider using some felt gasket to get a better seal established. Seasoning the inside will take time. Regular use will do just that. Cook with too much heat and the inside will be dry. Getting the temp set right will cause the inside to get a god glossy -looking build up. That is what you want. Avoid using the lighter fluid and any instant light charcoal.
Use lump coal or wood of your choosing. You and your family will enjoy it.
Test run last night.held 225 for 16 hrs and still going on same charcoal. Awesome

I got one last August and love it. Make sure you buy an 18" grill grate to lay on the 3 tabs above the coals and then put a cheap metal pizza pan on top of that. Made a huge difference for me when smoking butts, chops and shoulders. I can post a pic if my rant doesn't make any sense!

I got one last August and love it. Make sure you buy an 18" grill grate to lay on the 3 tabs above the coals and then put a cheap metal pizza pan on top of that. Made a huge difference for me when smoking butts, chops and shoulders. I can post a pic if my rant doesn't make any sense!
Appreciate it but I just bought the smoking stone for it. Works well

Back
Top Bottom