• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

school property

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
58   0
Reaction score
This may have been covered but search didn't find anything. I have a gun rack on my back window this morning while dropping off my daughter one of the teachers asked me if it was legal for me to have a gun in my rack while on school property. So whats the answer because I'm unsure. TIA

Here is some discussion on the issue.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/131887-school-zones.html

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-403680.html

And Georgia Packing
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Weapons on school property and functions: It is unlawful for a person to carry ANY type of weapon onto any real property (real estate... land or buildings) owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education, any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of post secondary education.

This code section does not apply to persons who have a valid Weapons Carry license (formerly the Georgia Firearms License) when such person has a weapon in the vehicle which is parked or in transit through the property or when the license holder carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school. (I'm not sure of the total legality actually carrying into a school building while picking up or dropping off a student, but it appears to be completely legal since the code does not say anything about not being allowed to enter the building while carrying. I wouldn't loiter around in the halls or cafeteria, but instead make a straight bee line to the office and back in order to drop off or pick up a student if you are required to do so.) This code section shall not apply to Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle. (note that while you have the ability to park your car on the property (you can leave the weapon inside the car while you go somewhere else) and carry while picking up or dropping off students, outside of that you cannot carry on school property even if you have a license. If you park your car and get out with the weapon still on your person and you do not meet one of the carry exceptions (such as dropping off or picking up a student), you are breaking the law. Be careful!) (16-11-127.1)

^^ that. If you have a GWL (GFL) then it's legal since you are dropping off/picking up a student. Otherwise, it would be illegal. This only applies to schools in Georgia for Georgia residents with a GWL. If your carry license was issued by another state then you would be violating federal law. Federal law provides that people licensed in the state the school zone is in can have a gun. Reciprocity for the license, however, is not included as an exception to the federal school zone firearm laws.

If I have a GWL and visit a school, what are the rules as far as leaving my gun in my car. Does it have to be locked in a compartment or locked container (my glovebox does not have a lock) or is leaving it in the car (out of sight) and locking the car sufficient?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom