• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Schools (Henry)

RamRod,

Thank you for your efforts. I am concerned that it may be too long to get the attention it deserves sadly. I have written to both GA Senators and Phil Gingrey this weekend. I hope that the short and very direct statement gets my point across.

Congressman Gingrey,

I am very concerned about the groundswell of negative reaction post the Newtown tragedy. It is my opinion that the focus is grossly misplaced and that bills looking to reduce our 2nd amendment rights are dangerous. I will not vote for any Representative or Senator that supports legislation that reduces or encumbers my 2nd amendment rights. I trust that you will support legal gun ownership by resisting the media and Democrats surge for gun control.

Thanks Phil, God Bless and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I hope we can get many more to follow along.

I have been asked to share what we have done at my children's elementary school is start a Watch D.O.G.S. chapter. We (the Dads) couldn't get the Administrations attention until some smart thinking Dads went to the Principal and got permission to start this. Every day there are between 3-10 Dad's in front of the school for drop off, walking the halls and patrolling the entrances all day and generally doing whatever we can to help and more importantly be seen. Obviously we can't carry but the mere fact that Dads are visible is a deterrent and more importantly it gave us credibility with the administration. We have successfully worked with the local school council to improve security...a huge step because before we started anyone could just walk in without impunity. Information on the program:

The Watch D.O.G.S. website is http://www.fathers.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=60

WATCH D.O.G.S. ® (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, educational initiative of the National Center For Fathering. It began in 1998 in a single school in Springdale, Arkansas after the Jonesboro school shooting and has since grown into a nationally recognized program that has brought hundreds of thousands of fathers and father figures into our nation’s classrooms and hallways. WATCH D.O.G.S. ® has created millions of “in school” volunteer hours and continues to have a tremendously positive impact on the educational process. Today more than 2,610 schools in 42 states plus DC participate in WATCH D.O.G.S. ®
Program Goals
1) To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
2) To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.

How WATCH D.O.G.S.® Works
WATCH D.O.G.S.®, a K-12 program, invites fathers, grandfathers, uncles, or other father figures to volunteer at least one day all day at their child’s/student's school during the school year. Individuals sign up at a kick-off event such as a “Dads and Kids Pizza Night” or “Donuts with Dad” or in the office at any time throughout the school year. The program is overseen by a “Top Dog” volunteer who partners with the school administrator to coordinate scheduling and identify opportunities for WatchDOGS to provide assistance at the school. WatchDOG volunteers perform a variety of tasks during their volunteer day including monitoring the school entrance, assisting with unloading and loading of buses and cars, monitoring the lunch room, or helping in the classroom with a teacher's guidance by working with small groups of students on homework, flashcards, or spelling.

I have been asked to share what we have done at my children's elementary school is start a Watch D.O.G.S. chapter. We (the Dads) couldn't get the Administrations attention until some smart thinking Dads went to the Principal and got permission to start this. Every day there are between 3-10 Dad's in front of the school for drop off, walking the halls and patrolling the entrances all day and generally doing whatever we can to help and more importantly be seen. Obviously we can't carry but the mere fact that Dads are visible is a deterrent and more importantly it gave us credibility with the administration. We have successfully worked with the local school council to improve security...a huge step because before we started anyone could just walk in without impunity. Information on the program:

The Watch D.O.G.S. website is http://www.fathers.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=60

WATCH D.O.G.S. ® (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, educational initiative of the National Center For Fathering. It began in 1998 in a single school in Springdale, Arkansas after the Jonesboro school shooting and has since grown into a nationally recognized program that has brought hundreds of thousands of fathers and father figures into our nation’s classrooms and hallways. WATCH D.O.G.S. ® has created millions of “in school” volunteer hours and continues to have a tremendously positive impact on the educational process. Today more than 2,610 schools in 42 states plus DC participate in WATCH D.O.G.S. ®
Program Goals
1) To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
2) To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.

How WATCH D.O.G.S.® Works
WATCH D.O.G.S.®, a K-12 program, invites fathers, grandfathers, uncles, or other father figures to volunteer at least one day all day at their child’s/student's school during the school year. Individuals sign up at a kick-off event such as a “Dads and Kids Pizza Night” or “Donuts with Dad” or in the office at any time throughout the school year. The program is overseen by a “Top Dog” volunteer who partners with the school administrator to coordinate scheduling and identify opportunities for WatchDOGS to provide assistance at the school. WatchDOG volunteers perform a variety of tasks during their volunteer day including monitoring the school entrance, assisting with unloading and loading of buses and cars, monitoring the lunch room, or helping in the classroom with a teacher's guidance by working with small groups of students on homework, flashcards, or spelling.

This is good stuff!!!! Presence alone is a good deterrent!
I will pass this along to our schools.

D.O.G.S. sounds like a really great idea.

In Georgia with a permit, I can legally drop my child off and carry my weapon on my person. As I interpret the law I can enter the building if it is only to pick up or drop off the child. I cannot attend a school function and be armed on my person but the state allows a weapon in my vehicle if I have a permit.

So if I read this right, I could with the staff's approval with guidance such as D.O.G.S. has done, could stand in front and be a visible limited deterrent since I would be unarmed physically. My weapon could be in my vehicle as I understand current Georgia laws.

I assume if I was just hanging around in my car or a second member was hanging around in their car that had a weapon in it then that stretches beyond simply dropping off/picking up a child and then I would be subject to felony violation of the "1990 Gun Free School Zones Act", just as any parent who unknowingly does not have a permit for a gun but legal to have in the vehicle until they get within 1000 feet of or in a school zone. I have not heard of a Mom or Dad getting nailed on this yet but it is possible as the federal law allows it.

This could be "M.O.G.S." and I think they have a grasp of effective security. Hey is that an evil "Assault Rifle"?

i48.tinypic.com_bhf4gi.jpg

The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak. If you dismiss this by saying, "Of course they have armed guards -- they get Secret Service protection," then you've missed the larger point. The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed).

Link: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/12/23/School-Obama-s-Daughters-Attend-Has-11-Armed-Guards-Not-Counting-Secret-Service

Only one BOE member contacted me was Josh Hinton. He explained the reality that none of the rest of the board will never relinquish the almighty "gun free zone" in our K12.

Interesting he was the impetus and key person, along with angry parents to revoke the contract offered to our almost Superintendent of Henry County schools.

I think Mr. Josh Hinton is one of the good guys...

Back
Top Bottom