• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Scope advice

Sixshooter95

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
just purchased new Tikka T3 hunter in 308 and not real sure what would be a good scope and rings combination . I will mainly use this gun for deer hunting in Georgia . Any feedback to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A typical 3x9 power is all you need and then some. Tally rings on a Tikka is a good choice. Get the best scope you can afford. It is typically better to get a low end quality name than a high end cheap name. As an example I would get a Leupold over a Simmons if both cost the same.

Tell me your budget and I can make some specific recommendations.

Objective lens size is one determinate of how much light will be gathered, and thus transmitted. Higher power will not often be needed in GA, you will and should keep it at the lower settings most of the time. 1. It is easier to find your target. 2. More light will transmit to your eye at lower magnification.

For hunting in GA, make sure you have low-end magnification. For forest and fields out to 200 yards I hunt with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5. For bean fields I shoot 3.5-10 VX3 (over your budget).

The vast majority of deer taken in Georgia are shot within 100 yards. Having said that, I tend to go with 'more than enough' unless I know for certain I'm hunting in the woods. 3x9 is the most popular for a reason. Having said that, 2 of the last 3 scopes I bought were 4.5x14 (the other was a 3x9). If you ever woods hunt, with a low end much above 3 (and sometimes even at 3x) you can get into a problem trying to quickly find your target.
With a $400 budget you have quite a bit to choose from brand wise that will be solid glass. I was almost exclusively Leupold (II or III) but recently bought scopes in Bushnell (4200 Elite), Sightron (Big Sky II) and Burris (Fullfield II) and honestly, am well pleased with all of them (especially since most I got on steal at clearance. :) ).

I have this scope this a pair of QD rings. It's my old dear setup. 3x10 outstanding clarity and LOW LIGHT performance with the 30mm tube vs. a 1in.. It's got a BDC out to 500 yds. I paid over $550 for everyting and it's like new and can be yours well within your budget. PM me if interested.
New Pricing http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...-tube-3-10x-40mm-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte
media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_929_929241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom