• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Scope advice

Objective lens size is one determinate of how much light will be gathered, and thus transmitted. Higher power will not often be needed in GA, you will and should keep it at the lower settings most of the time. 1. It is easier to find your target. 2. More light will transmit to your eye at lower magnification.
Great advice!

I have been using a Leupold 1-4x20 on a 30-30 as well as a 308 and I have been very pleased with the result I mainly use it for deer and hog hunting.

I've had great results with Leupold VX-II and Nikon Prostaff both in 3-9x40 but the field of view is nothing compared to a Leupold with a 50mm objective.

Lots of good advice. Be sure to select the reticle that you are most comfortable using. Everyone has personal favorites. BDC can be good for making quick elevation judgments as well as any of the mil-dot variants. I would not get overly concerned about first focal plane vs. second focal plane for 100 yard hunting. Some of the cheaper scopes have fairly clear optics, but might not survive getting banged around in the woods. Stick to a good brand.

Man I wish I could find a rifle scope as good as My Excalibur varizone crossbow scope.

It's been one of the best scopes I own, clear with incredibly fast eye relief and always dead on even after banging it around time after time
Including dropping the bow from a tree 30' high landing in the scope and still holding zero like a boss.

I have a vortex viper 3x9x40 on my 270 and a vortex viper 2.5x10x44 on my 338wm. I have been very pleased with the clarity of these scopes especially for the money.

Back
Top Bottom