• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scope picking help needed

No one mentioned whether they think the early 70's Winchester ought to get a new scope or one from that time period.... I've looked at a couple of old weaver's and a Bushnell. Just looking for input.... and maybe some offerings of older gloss black scopes. ;-)
Older Leupold vari-x ii and vari-x III scopes can be found very reasonable on eBay and still have a lifetime warranty.

Love the Bushnell elite line and I am/was a Leupold snob. Hate Nikon optics. Have owned three and couldn't warm up to any of them. Here good things about Vortex but have never tried anything but their red dots which I wasn't impressed with.

Checked out the Elite line last night online. Nice! I'm going to a couple of shops this week to see if they have any in stock that I can look through. Thanks for the info.

Older Leupold vari-x ii and vari-x III scopes can be found very reasonable on eBay and still have a lifetime warranty.

Did not think to look on eBay... I got on there last night and marked a few to watch.
Thanks for the heads up.

Checked out the Elite line last night online. Nice! I'm going to a couple of shops this week to see if they have any in stock that I can look through. Thanks for the info.Did not think to look on eBay... I got on there last night and marked a few to watch.Thanks for the heads up.
If you can't find one you are welcome to come look through one of mine.

I just realized you're from Rome... is there anyone close that carries the Bushnell Elite line? Country Sportsman? Tom's?
Honestly I couldn't tell you. I never go into Country Sportsman and while I do go into Toms, it's usually just to shoot the breeze with Tom. I kinda doubt any shop in Rome will carry them. Dunham's or Country Sportsman would be the two that might but both places will be 20-30% more expensive than anybody else like they are on all things.

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I never go into Country Sportsman and while I do go into Toms, it's usually just to shoot the breeze with Tom. I kinda doubt any shop in Rome will carry them. Dunham's or Country Sportsman would be the two that might but both places will be 20-30% more expensive than anybody else like they are on all things.

I checked Dunham's, but no luck.I seldom get to Coosa while Country Sportsman is open.

The new Cabela's in Acworth has about 50 scopes on display mounted to dummy rifle stocks so you can really try them. I was absolutely stunned at the Leupold (don't remember which model but it was inside your range) compared to all of the others. But there is nothing like fondling them side-by-side. It's worth the drive over there and less than return shipping on a reject.

No one mentioned whether they think the early 70's Winchester ought to get a new scope or one from that time period.... I've looked at a couple of old weaver's and a Bushnell. Just looking for input.... and maybe some offerings of older gloss black scopes. ;-)

Unless you are planning on using the Winchester for decoration only, get a new scope. Scopes from that time frame can't stand up to the $35.00 Walmart specials of today.

Edit: For some reason I thought the Winchester was a pre 64. Scopes were getting much better by the 70s. I would still get a new scope.

Last edited:
Unless you are planning on using the Winchester for decoration only, get a new scope. Scopes from that time frame can't stand up to the $35.00 Walmart specials of today.

Edit: For some reason I thought the Winchester was a pre 64. Scopes were getting much better by the 70s. I would still get a new scope.

Gotcha, I'm leaning towards the new/ newer scopes for that very reason.

The new Cabela's in Acworth has about 50 scopes on display mounted to dummy rifle stocks so you can really try them. I was absolutely stunned at the Leupold (don't remember which model but it was inside your range) compared to all of the others. But there is nothing like fondling them side-by-side. It's worth the drive over there and less than return shipping on a reject.
I was waiting until the "NEW" wore off before going to Cabela's just because I don't like crowds. That, and the lack of ever getting a bargain, is why I stopped going to Bass Pro once they moved into a mall. However, it sounds like it may be worth the effort if they have that many scopes at hands reach.
Thanks for the info.

the leupold vx-1 can be had for $200 online, it performs well and sits on my ar 20 inch barreled rifle

I've looked at the VX1 & VX2 online, they are definitely on my radar. Maybe they are on the rack at Cabela's so I can get a side by side comparison. Thanks for the input. Is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom