• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

scrapyard/salvage question

mo mauser

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I recently bought some property with a 1988 school bus onsite. It was being used for storage. Previous owners left it because they could not move it. Wife says it needs to go and id like to sell for scrap. Suggestions? I don't want to pay back taxes. Can I get a salvage title? Thanks mo

You'd get 1000.00 scrap for it.Probably all aluminum. But, needs to be 25 years old for not needing title. If you call someone to haul it off for you, don't let them screw you on the price, like a 2 0r 3 hundred dollar offer.

I thought I needed a title for anything 85 or newer. To get a salvage title I wouldn't I need proof of ownership besides possession? Abandoned vehicle maybe? I appreciate the ideas so far Mo

I have scrapped probably about 6-700 cars over the years. Right now, you can scrap anything model year 2000 and older WITHOUT a title. The scrap yards around here (Marietta) would pay anywhere from $1000-$1500 for it. Since it is so large, you will need a big tow truck for it. Some tow companies will just tow it and try to get you to split the price with you. You are better off just paying whatever the tow bill is instead of splitting it with them (tow bill for that size going about 25 miles is ussually less than $300). The price of metal is down right now, a couple months ago it would have brought over $2000. If it is not in the way, I would hold off till the price goes back up. Right now it is about $8 per hundred pounds, it was up to about $14 here a couple months ago. Good luck with it, that's just money sitting there waiting to be spent here on ODT!

Use it for target practice and bring the pieces to the scrap yard as they fall off....:thumb:

Amen! Scrapping can be a process! If a receiver is a gun then the firewall and engine compartment is the car...

Back
Top Bottom