• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seasoning a Cast Iron Skillet

boomer

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
133   0
Reaction score
We just remodeled our kitchen. Went to use our cast skillet and somehow it was donated to Goodwill by accident. So I am buying a new one and need to know what you guy's do to season one before using it. Any brand better than another?

Most of the Lodge skillets come pre seasoned.

If you want to do more, coat with vegetable oil, heat in an oven for 1 hour @ 200 . Re-coat. Back in oven @ 300 for an hour. Remove and cool.

Wipe it down with a high temp oil, then wipe it off as if you were trying to remove ALL of the oil. This will leave a film and that's what you want to heat up to season it. Too much oil or fat and it'll run and leave sticky streaks or drips.

And there's the layup......

We just remodeled our kitchen. Went to use our cast skillet and somehow it was donated to Goodwill by accident. So I am buying a new one and need to know what you guy's do to season one before using it. Any brand better than another?

Most of them come seasoned now adays. Lots of made in who knows where out there. Look for Made in the USA or made in Germany. And even with Lodge you need to make sure it's cast with Made in the USA (they do some overseas).

I use lard, bacon fat, tallow, vegetable oil or avocado oil. Coat it well and put in oven at 250 for a couple hours then turn off oven and let it cool in oven. Take it out when cool and wipe it out really well. What you are trying to do is open the pores in the iron and allowing the warm oil to sink into the metal. The boiling point of fats is usually 350 depending on the fat. Some are lower some higher. You do not want the fat to boil. So I do not like to be over 250. Most times I stay at 225 or even 200.

Back
Top Bottom