• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seating primers?

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
Is the primers suppose to be hard to seat? Mine makes a good popping noise as it seats in there. I don't know if I'm doing it too hard or what but if I don't do too hard, it won't be flush. Also when I do it hard, it leaves a good mark on the primer. Is there anyway to get these seated without that much force? I feel like I'm going to set one off lol

Are you reaming the primer pockets when you're preparing the brass for reloading? Shouldn't be that hard to seat the primer unless you're using military brass.

I use an RCBS primer to seat them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Lol maybe that's it. I didn't clean the primer pocket... I figured I do it after 2-3 fires...

I did noticed the ones with less crap in the pocket seat smoother. Still require a little force but nothing like man handling.

All of my brass is lake city or whatever freedommunition uses. It's lake city combined with federal ect...

Shouldn't be that hard. It should take some torque but nothing excessive, even if the pockets are dirty. If you're loading .45, make sure you're not using large primers in small primer .45 cases. Not that I've ever done that. :whistle:

If you're using lake city brass that's former military brass you will need a military crimp swager to remove the primer crimp before re-priming. Dillon makes a nice one that I use the (super swage 600).

The CH4D swager is nice as well.

Yes, nice and inexpensive to!

BTW: Is the Freedom Ammo their new stuff or remanufactured?
I'd be surprised if they were crimping primer pockets on remanufactured stuff?!
I know that they would need to ream primer pockets as part of the reman process,
but re-crimping them afterwards seems cost prohibitive ... You might want
to call them and ask!

Last edited:
If you're using lake city brass that's former military brass you will need a military crimp swager to remove the primer crimp before re-priming. Dillon makes a nice one that I use the (super swage 600).

I just picked up one of these bad boys. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. During the case conversions for the 300 blk I nust've been getting some military brass that I didn't know about. The primers were a lot harder to seat. Yes I just squeezed it in there with some force, probably not the best decision. Now i'm going to run them through the Super Swage just to make sure.

Yes, nice and inexpensive to!

BTW: Is the Freedom Ammo their new stuff or remanufactured?
I'd be surprised if they were crimping primer pockets on remanufactured stuff?!
I know that they would need to ream primer pockets as part of the reman process,
but re-crimping them afterwards seems cost prohibitive ... You might want
to call them and ask!

I've had their new and reloads. Both shoot as good and both look new so I only get their reloads now. I honestly think their new ammo!

I guess I need to freshing up my brass identification! I've always heard don't get military brass for reloading. I guess cause the extra steps? I'll have to check which brass I got. I know I got some lake city but it's only like 50% of the brass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom