• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shame on Benchmade??

It's a shame to destroy guns, but, if an individual wants their own personal property destroyed, that is their call. I don't see anyone ever getting upset over vehicles being destroyed or protesting a recycling facility that has a crusher.

Who is to say that the evidence guns weren't the left-over from what has been returned to rightful owners? I'd prefer to see the guns sold and the department be able to use the money to help out the PO's, but that is a completely different discussion.

We are not talking police officers going door to door confiscating firearms from law-abiding citizens and Benchmade saying hey guys, let us help!

Plenty of departments have policies in place to this very nature. Just like having policies in place to not take freebies like meals and free coffee.

Plenty of whack-jobs here, on this very site, destroy their guns with dremeled, epoxy, etc, but we don't call them gun grabbers

I have no problem with people destroying their own property. But if I have an old TV I want to get rid of, or a bunch of old insecticide, I don't call the cops. If a gun is completely illegal, with a defaced SN or a barrel cut of (like one of the guns in the pic) I could see the logic. There's no way to resell or return that firearm legally.

However automatically destroying any firearm without trying to return it is simply wrong. As mentioned above, Cops don't keep stolen cars or jewelry, they return it to the owners if at all possible. Why should guns be any different? No department should have a policy of simply cutting up any gun they get hold of, and a company that depends on the 2A should definitely know better than to aid and abet that kind of behavior.

I have no problem with people destroying their own property. But if I have an old TV I want to get rid of, or a bunch of old insecticide, I don't call the cops. If a gun is completely illegal, with a defaced SN or a barrel cut of (like one of the guns in the pic) I could see the logic. There's no way to resell or return that firearm legally.

However automatically destroying any firearm without trying to return it is simply wrong. As mentioned above, Cops don't keep stolen cars or jewelry, they return it to the owners if at all possible. Why should guns be any different? No department should have a policy of simply cutting up any gun they get hold of, and a company that depends on the 2A should definitely know better than to aid and abet that kind of behavior.
So, what is making anybody so certain that they are cutting up "any gun they get ahold of?" I think having any cut up is stupid. Fiscally retarded. Would much prefer to see them sold back into the public. Even having having guns re-cerialozed if the SN has been removed. But fiscally retarded is how the government operates, so that's a discussion for another time.

And, if the cops seize a vehicle and there is no rightful owner, they do sell them. It is within their authority.

Agree 100%. If they can't find the owner selling them off would be the second-best option. I would argue that you probably don't want the cops to have the money raised, since that gives them a reverse-incentive around finding the actual owner, but I'm with you there. I'm just looking at the original pictures, and at least the SKS doesn't seem to be a problem. There's probably no reason they couldn't return or sell it... except it's 'department policy' from what they said in their press release.

BTW, there's a good video in this fiasco that TGC just released...

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDE5Mzg1/is-benchmade-anti-gun---the-fight

Agree 100%. If they can't find the owner selling them off would be the second-best option. I would argue that you probably don't want the cops to have the money raised, since that gives them a reverse-incentive around finding the actual owner, but I'm with you there. I'm just looking at the original pictures, and at least the SKS doesn't seem to be a problem. There's probably no reason they couldn't return or sell it... except it's 'department policy' from what they said in their press release.

BTW, there's a good video in this fiasco that TGC just released...

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDE5Mzg1/is-benchmade-anti-gun---the-fight
Unfortunately, that's why most policies of this nature exist.

Should have told the cops to head to Home Depot to get some hacksaws and torches and then told them to get the **** out of their shop.

So Bypass why did the cops *steal* your knives?

Back
Top Bottom