Sharks on Georgia Coast

To get to Tybee from Duluth takes me about 5 hours, to get to the County Pier from Duluth takes me about 5 and a half to six depending on traffic and bait situation.

Get you a big stick with a big penn reel on it and a kayak.Go down to the dock where the charter boats come in and see if you can get a couple bonitos for bait.

I caught a nice 6' off the beach on Jekyll island. I'm gunning for a big bull or hammerhead next time I head down to Boca Grande, FL in June or July.

I just switch to a Penn 10500 with about 600 yds of 130lbs braided tied to a 80 lbs shock leader which is tied to a 480 lbs steel leader. Use big circle hooks like a 12/0 or 14/0. I'm probably going to get a Avent 80w soon also.

I use a double hook setup and I'll try to post a pick of it. I use a big Bonita for bait. Run the first hook through the mouth and out the gill plate and hook it at the top of the tail, the second hook I try to hook behind the head with both hooks exposed very good. Sometimes I'll wrap rubber bands to hold everything in place good. Make a few slices in the bait to get the smell to travel good.

Best time is sundown till the wee hours of morning. I kayak my bait out about 150 yards and drop it off. I tie a heavy rock with about 3' of 20-30 lbs mono to the swivel of the 480 lbs leader. It helps keep the bait in place and it also helps with the hook set also. The shark runs and as soon as that rock snags or goes tight, the hook is set and the 20-30 lbs mono will break off and HANG ON! The fight begins.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 124
lol. its that time of yr little tuna. you going down? im headed soon myself.

I work down there so I try to fish when I have time. As soon as the tarpon move in few months the big sharks will follow.

I'm buying a new shark setup. Tiagra 130, 1,000 yards of 130lbs mono. I'll probably do a 200 lbs top shot and fill the rest with 100 lbs mono.

I'm ready to catch bigger sharks. The Penn 10500 didn't work out to well for me this year. I was spooled and broke off 7 times this year using 130lbs braid. These big sharks like to run 800+ yards.

The Goliaths are pretty big too and will give a helluva fight. I'll be ready for 2015 soon!

Back
Top Bottom