• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHIPPING A SHOTGUN

BIGDOG60

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Good Afternoon... I am in NJ shipping a Shockwave 12 gauge Shotgun to GA...I am sending from Dealer to Dealer to Myself...I have a home in NJ and GA but NJ is my home state...I need my Shotgun at my home in GA...Can it stay there or must I ship it back home in a certain time period?

Good Afternoon... I am in NJ shipping a Shockwave 12 gauge Shotgun to GA...I am sending from Dealer to Dealer to Myself...I have a home in NJ and GA but NJ is my home state...I need my Shotgun at my home in GA...Can it stay there or must I ship it back home in a certain time period?
Can't you just drive it to your GA home yourself and leave it there?

What exit?

Is your concern because it's registered in some way in NJ ? It would be easier just to bring it with you next time you visit GA.

If it's staying in GA permanently than an FFL transfer os the way to go. I think that takes it 'off the books' in NJ, although you should check on that.

If it's only temporary, than you can simply drive or fly with it. There's some threads here about flying with guns, and if you are driving it simply has to be unloaded and inaccessible. Since it would be registered in NJ, you shouldn't have the usual issues people have with going through that state with a gun that isn't in their system.

EDIT: Never mind that second paragraph. I just re-read the OP that mentions the shotgun will be staying in GA.

I'm actually surprised you could buy a Shockwave in NJ though, or is that why it's coming to GA?

When I took a lengthy new contract in New Mexico in 1998, I "flew my Glock" out with me on Delta and it stayed there for 30 months or so while I was working there. I also bought a Winchester pump shotgun while in NM, sold it to a friend when I left.

Although working in New Mexico as a state-contractor; my legal residence, voting address, driver's license, car tags, etc. remained in Georgia, because it was a temporary contract.

Just re-read the OP and realized that the shotgun in question is a Shockwave.

I would definitely use an FFL to transfer that from NJ.

As mentioned above, that will take it off the books as a NJ registered gun. It also avoids any issues with you transporting what some states may still consider a Short Barrelled Shotgun. You could research each state you would be driving through, but honestly, the $30 bucks or so an FFL will charge you to ship is worth it to avoid that hassle.

Just re-read the OP and realized that the shotgun in question is a Shockwave.

I would definitely use an FFL to transfer that from NJ.

As mentioned above, that will take it off the books as a NJ registered gun. It also avoids any issues with you transporting what some states may still consider a Short Barrelled Shotgun. You could research each state you would be driving through, but honestly, the $30 bucks or so an FFL will charge you to ship is worth it to avoid that hassle.
Which states consider the Shockwave a SBS??

I know Ohio had language in the gun bill Kasich vetoed and was overridden on to make the ShockWaves legal in Ohio. They were in limbo based on what state law considered an SBS. Texas also had to change their statues.

Probably not an issue, but you never know. Like I said, better to just ship via FFL and skip any potential hassle unless the OP wants to do the research on each state they are going through.

I know Ohio had language in the gun bill Kasich vetoed and was overridden on to make the ShockWaves legal in Ohio. They were in limbo based on what state law considered an SBS. Texas also had to change their statues.

Probably not an issue, but you never know. Like I said, better to just ship via FFL and skip any potential hassle unless the OP wants to do the research on each state they are going through.
lol kasich is such a bitch

Back
Top Bottom