• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping guns from person to person in georgia

The ATF website has some incorrect info on it, so that may not be a "best" resource. They have been advised of this, but have not bothered to correct it.

So ....... read the law for yourself, 18USC 922

IN STATE, to another resident of YOUR State, mail (USPS) or common carrier (like UPS or FedEx) a long gun, rifle or shotgun, directly to their home.

You do NOT have to tell the transporter (USPS,FEDEX,UPS) what it is, there is NO Federal Code that says you have to, IF the shipment/mailing is from a resident of a State, to another resident of the same state. Do not mark the outside, in any way, that the package contains a firearm.

Handguns cannot be mailed by NON FFL holders, so you'd have to use a common carrier (FedEx, UPS) but, again, you are NOT legally bound to tell them its a firearm, that is just that private businesses regulation, nothing more. Ship directly to their home.

Mail a long gun across State lines, to another State, MUST go to a FFL, but you do NOT have to tell USPS what it is.

Ship (do not mail) a handgun across State Lines, must go to a FFL, no statutory requirement that you advise the carrier. However, I would suggest paying for Signature Confirmation, because the Law requires the CARRIER to get it, and if you put them in a position of not getting it, you could be considered culpable for their failure.

AMMUNITION can NEVER be legally mailed, by anyone.

IANAL, but I can read.

AMMUNITION can NEVER be legally mailed, by anyone.

IANAL, but I can read.

Correction, one can ship ammo...it is just a pain...unless you mean "mail" as in USPS, then you would be correct.

UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material.

Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 (Hazardous Materials), and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. To meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORM-D, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

To qualify as "Cartridges, small arms ORM-D" or limited quantity, ammunition must be:

• Ammunition that does not exceed 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol cartridges or 8 gauge for shotgun shells; or
  • Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition

This ^^^^^^ X 10000000000.
Before you even Attempt it. Which ever Service you decide to use You Will Need to be prepared to be REJECTED. So to Save your self Time, Print Out the REGULATION for that Service and have it with You. Because again You will Most Likely incur Problems. Print out the Regulation and Be prepared to Stand Firm.
:deadhorse:

Are you telling me that fedex or ups will open your box and inspect to see if there is a gun inside? I think not.

wwwhhhhaattt I honestly didn't know you could just ship person to person, so what the hell is with all the, "just too far away" hell I'd rather give someone 20 to ship something vs driving to the otherside of atl.

wwwhhhhaattt I honestly didn't know you could just ship person to person, so what the hell is with all the, "just too far away" hell I'd rather give someone 20 to ship something vs driving to the otherside of atl.

That involves a lot more trust. I knew you could ship rifles, but handguns are more of a pain since you can't use USPS. And most likely you'd have to go to a hub to have UPS ship next-day. The UPS stores are a pain in the butt even if you try to ship ammo. You have to do that from the hub directly or have them pick it up.

As a seller, how do I confirm your age and residency requirements? How much of a risk should the seller assume to ship that $20 package to you? Personally, face-to-face, with some form of ID, seems like the only way to protect yourself, unless you know the purchaser really well.

Back
Top Bottom