• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping guns from person to person in georgia

THOUGHTS TO CONSIDER:

Does Georgia have a law that generally bans introducing a firearm (or other dangerous thing) into a commercial transportation terminal facility? (yes, Code section 16-12-127)
Is violation of that law a major felony? (yes, 20 years in prison and a $15,000 fine)
Does this law have an exception for Georgia Weapons License holders if the dangerous thing in question is a firearm? (yes.)
Does an exception to this law exist for weapons that you disclose to the transportation company? (yes).
Is the definition of a "transportation terminal" very broad, such that it includes private package delivery services' facilities? (yes, see 16-12-122).

QUESTION: If you aren't a GWL holder, and you ship any firearm, even a sporting rifle or shotgun, through a commercial transportation facility WITHOUT telling them that there's a gun in the package, could you be in a hell of a lot of trouble due to your ignorance of this law? (yes).

Thankfully, most transportation workers and police are equally ignorant about the law.
This has NOTHING to do with Sale and Shipment of weapons, your Quoted Codes have to do with Public Safety on Public Transportation.

16-12-127 does not apply, you are not carrying the firearm. The firearm is in the hands of a common carrier, or the USPS, that take firearms, packaged, into those types of areas hundred if not thousands of time daily.

YOU introduced nothing, you as the shipper gave it to someone and said "deliver it".

Where the Shipper took it, enroute to the destination you requested, is wholly beyond your control, and therefore, responsibility.

Apples and Oranges

As a seller, how do I confirm your age and residency requirements? How much of a risk should the seller assume to ship that $20 package to you? Personally, face-to-face, with some form of ID, seems like the only way to protect yourself, unless you know the purchaser really well.

How about getting then to send you a pic of their State of GA DL or ID?

Agree that the Package will only be sent to the addy listed.

Exchange Ph Numbers also, and speak with the person.

You get not much more info on a FtF, IMO

As a seller, how do I confirm your age and residency requirements? How much of a risk should the seller assume to ship that $20 package to you? Personally, face-to-face, with some form of ID, seems like the only way to protect yourself, unless you know the purchaser really well.
Between Speaking with the Person, looking at their Deals and Feedback here etc. It's not that hard to figure out if someone is on the Up and Up. If something feels wrong then try to settle your fears, if not then Pass on the Deal. No different from a Face to Face as far as I'm Concerned. I did a deal a few years ago where I was going to ship, but it just worked out that he wound up having a Trip this way so we met and did the deal. He was exactly in Person the same as online and what I expected when we talked on the phone. Insurance with Signature Required by the Person, is the way I've shipped through my FFL buddy. It's Not Illegal, people are so Freaked about Legal issues coming back on you. Just because you meet face to Face MEANS NOTHING, they could still shoot somebody Road Rage or Freak out and do any Number of things. If the Deal Don't feel Right, then you don't do the deal face to face or not. Again Private Sale and Shipping of Firearms is Not Illegal. Heck with Today's Technology do a Video Call.

Back
Top Bottom