• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping long guns

slikk47

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
63   0
Reaction score
I just learned that an FFL is not required to ship a long gun to someone in the same state. An FFL is required to ship across state lines but is not required to ship your gun to yourself in another state. Ohhh my wife if going to be even more pissed at me now. I already have one on it's way.

Pistols too.. You just can't use USPS for pistols.. Have to use UPS or FEDEX.. A "contract carrier"..

From the ATF website:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Last edited:
But ups wont ship unless someones an ffl if you declare it per thier policy

Necro thread revival....

This is not entirely true. I just shipped a long gun to myself across state lines via UPS. Both UPS and Fedex will do this, its legal according to federal law, however the results you get are often tied to the person's competence that you deal with at their locations. They arent always competent. One of my relatives even had Fedex deliver a handgun to them at a federal office...which is illegal....and which was Fedex making a mistake, it wasnt even supposed to go to that address. Shipping firearms is not an exact science.

Back
Top Bottom