• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shortening a Benelli M1 stock

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
I have an older HK-marked M1 Benelli I picked up a while back for $500. It was a cop's personally owned duty gun while he worked for Larryville PD. 19" barrel, fixed choke, rifle sights, standard stock and forend.

I find the stock on the older M1's to be too long for my use, and you can't find a non-pistol grip stock with a shorter LOP, so I decided to cut the factory stock down.

The problem with cutting the stock down is that it's hollow plastic. When you cut it down, you lose the two screw holes that the butt pad screws to. Here's the process I used:

1. Figured out what I wanted to ending LOP to be by comparing it to the shorty Hogue stock on my SBS Rem870. I cut 1 5/8" off the stock, plus the 1" thickness of the recoil, for 2 5/8" total.
IMG_5591.JPG

2. I sanded the edges inside and out to smooth them. Now I needed to make a filler block to go inside the stock to give the new recoil pad something to attach to.

I used a piece of dense plastic. I sanded it to fit.

IMG_5592.JPG

1" recoil pad is on order, and I have to go to the hardware store to pick up some 2-part epoxy and blackened stainless steel screws to affix the filler block to the inside of the stock. More to follow after I get the recoil pad.

Pretty cool! I watched a couple of shotgun stocks get cut down and recoil pads fitted before, but never on a composite stock. Pretty neat approach using the filler block. Subd' to see the finished product!

Nice job....I've always had to lengthen Benelli stocks with a thicker pad because the LOP is only 14" from the factory.

Back
Top Bottom