• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun and rifles sales out of state?

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
So I know you can buy shotgun and rifle out of state if your state boarder line with them. What are the laws on private sale for out of state? Could I sell my ar15 to someone in Florida or would it require a ffl transfer?

You can't buy rifles or shotguns from another state "just because" your state has a border with them.
You can buy long guns from any other state so long as it's not unlawful under either state's laws, AND you do your purchase from an FFL dealer, not a private party.
But I think you knew that, because you then asked about a GA resident selling to a FL resident, despite the fact that GA and FL have a common border.
I'm just clarifying.

The answer is YES and YES. Yes, you can sell your gun to a Florida resident, but YES you have to get an FFL involved (a Florida one) to process this interstate transfer. You'll probably end up shipping your rifle to the Florida gun dealer with a cover letter saying it's for Mr. XXXXX who should be along to pick it up and to the Form 4473 and do the background check (or show his FL concealed carry permit) soon.

If you are close enough to drive to FL personally and meet the buyer at a FL gun shop, that works too. I've done that. Driving to SC, I mean, and meeting the buyer at a local gun shop just inside the SC state line.

Okay good to clear that up. I kind of knew the rules but I wasn't sure about private sales. I knew you can buy from other state FFL via long gun but not handgun. I just wasn't too sure about private sale with long guns in other states.

Back
Top Bottom