• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should You Trust A $200 Shotgun For Home Defense? | Charles Daly 301 Review - GunBrand Review

Should you trust a 200 shotgun for home defense? Well from the cheaper ones , I would trust a mossy maverick 88 , proven and cheap. Turkish ones not so much, not to mention there are no parts available to fix must Turkish stuff when a part fail wich it will. There are exceptions but not many .

2 years ago I bought a Stevens 320 pump action (a knockoff of a Winchester 1200) made in CHINA, sold at WalMart for $149,

I've used it for about 5 boxes of 25 low-brass birdshot loads, testing patterns and busting clays.

But I only shot maybe 2 rounds of slugs and 2 rounds of buckshot, just to see the pattern at 10 yards (envisioning a home defense role) and to see if the bead and vent rib could be used as a "sight" to shoot slugs with some accuracy (yeah, they can).

Now, some would say that before betting my life or some innocent person's life on this gun working properly in a pinch, I should run through at least 200 rounds of full-power defensive ammo to test it.
But the cost of just 100 rounds of slugs, buckshot, or high-brass waterfowl loads would surely exceed the value of the entire shotgun.

2 years ago I bought a Stevens 320 pump action (a knockoff of a Winchester 1200) made in CHINA, sold at WalMart for $149,

I've used it for about 5 boxes of 25 low-brass birdshot loads, testing patterns and busting clays.

But I only shot maybe 2 rounds of slugs and 2 rounds of buckshot, just to see the pattern at 10 yards (envisioning a home defense role) and to see if the bead and vent rib could be used as a "sight" to shoot slugs with some accuracy (yeah, they can).

Now, some would say that before betting my life or some innocent person's life on this gun working properly in a pinch, I should run through at least 200 rounds of full-power defensive ammo to test it.
But the cost of just 100 rounds of slugs, buckshot, or high-brass waterfowl loads would surely exceed the value of the entire shotgun.
Cheap gun makers like Fedarms, high point, keltec, Sar etc.(my 1st pistol was a Astra Constable) will always be successful because poor people would rather have something than nothing. Your best defense will always be your situational awareness & ability to run from a gunfight not if you own a pos or a full auto mp5. Guess I’m a caretaking minority here cause the last thing I need is to shoot it out with some meth head that has nothing to lose over vs. my material possessions I can replace. If you happen to get backed into a corner though this is what I want…..

Attachments

• E6306026-D99B-4691-9482-1FE0011FF90E.png
    E6306026-D99B-4691-9482-1FE0011FF90E.png
    513 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom