Show off your 1911

Those are very, very nice pistols you have there Big guy in the sky. Those old war horses are becoming harder to find and better yet when they have a bit of a story to tell.

Those are very, very nice pistols you have there Big guy in the sky. Those old war horses are becoming harder to find and better yet when they have a bit of a story to tell.

I know something of it, but I do not have any hard facts. The story goes that this was issued to a marine Sgt in 1944. He deployed to the Philippines, and was severely injured. I bought this off of a regular at my bar, whose uncle was a sailor during WWII. This particular sailor was tending to the wounded marine Sgt on his way back to the states. The sailor bought the gun off of the marine for I have no idea how much. The sailor kept it, and passed it on to my bar friend. The pistol sat in a garage and under a mattress for years, before my friend got a hold of it. He saw that it was pitted and had some rust. So, he did what anyone not knowing what this awesome thing was worth would do. He had it reparkerized. So, the collectors value is completely gone. But, its an all original Colt 1911A1, except for the mag. It even has the barrel safety built in. I can take this gun to the range, and feed her anything I please and hit cans easy at 50 yards. She will be mine forever, so I don't feel bad saying I paid $400 for the coolest piece in my collection.

It even has the barrel safety built in. I can take this gun to the range, and feed her anything I please and hit cans easy at 50 yards. She will be mine forever, so I don't feel bad saying I paid $400 for the coolest piece in my collection.

That's a NEAT Piece, and a GREAT Story, too...and it sounds like it'll SHOOT, too...But I'm not FAMILIAR with the ..."Barrel Safety Built In"...Could you explain? Thanks....mikey357

Im not sure of the actual name of the safety. There is some type of safety mechanism built into the barrel of colts from this period, im unsure of remingtons. If you cock the gun, and press it into your hand, leg, etc. (UNLOADED!!!!) with a small amount of pressure, there will be a small audible click. If you pull the trigger with this pressure on the barrel, the gun will not fire. Supposedly this was built in for when zhe germans snuck up on you and put your own gun in your back. You could lean back into the pistol and it wont fire. Mine exhibits this feature. Im sure that someone out there knows more about this than I do. I spend all my time researching powder pressure, silencers, ars.......

A Wilson/Nighthawk reunion. I didn't include my Springers or HK's. Figured this would be enough. L1050059.jpg

Im not sure of the actual name of the safety. There is some type of safety mechanism built into the barrel of colts from this period, im unsure of remingtons. If you cock the gun, and press it into your hand, leg, etc. (UNLOADED!!!!) with a small amount of pressure, there will be a small audible click. If you pull the trigger with this pressure on the barrel, the gun will not fire. Supposedly this was built in for when zhe germans snuck up on you and put your own gun in your back. You could lean back into the pistol and it wont fire. Mine exhibits this feature. Im sure that someone out there knows more about this than I do. I spend all my time researching powder pressure, silencers, ars.......

You can do that to a Glock as well.

Back
Top Bottom