• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF Currency Question

ClassicBlue

Default rank <5000 posts
Friends don’t let friends buy cheap guns!
431   0
Reaction score
As far as having some form of currency in case SHTF, most are leaning to silver. My question is this - what form of silver would be best? I'm wanting to buy silver bullion in 1oz. A couple friends have told me silver coins are the better way to go. It seems to me that if SHTF, the value is based on the silver itself and not the fact that it's a coin that at some point was worth X amount of dollars because of condition, year produced, or collectibility. Also, even in times of trouble, an ounce of silver will be worth whatever the current price is. It seems that coins have too many varibles involved to determine what the value will be. ie..condition, etc..

Please advise.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Check history, but I believe when a government falls apart that makes the currency useless and neither gold nor silver were used in the interm (bartering was) until the next government/currency was established and people had faith in it. I'd stick with food and ammo or other stuff that people would want.

I always laugh when I read some of the books out there talking about silver. I guess there are two scenarios that could happen. 1) total govt breakdown- in this case I can't see someone who is starving wanting to trade silver coins for food. or the person with food wanting to take silver coins for whatever... IMHO it's going to be food, ammo and weapons, then any other material goods that have an immediate usefulness. The second situation would be rampant inflation where the dollar is no good but that the govt, electricity, gasoline, etc is still in decent supply. in this case I could see bullion being a good trading commodity because there might be an easy avenue to trade these items into other "real" goods. But if you are looking at TEOTWAWKI, I don't think there will be a lot of folks sitting around trying to sell AR's for silver coins. :) at least that's my thought, but as an easy way to keep "cash" reserves for inflation or something that might be understandable.

Back
Top Bottom