• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF How many do you really need?

Depends if your Staying in, Driving out, or Hiking out! Because that's what's going to determine what and how much your going to take or need.

this is true, if your staying home, then you can have as many as you want. If your bugging out, then weight becomes and issue as you hike to your bug out spot. I keep 10 for my AR and AK. 4 for my sidearm. I buy more of them when i see a good deal for later trading. but I keep 10 loaded and ready at all times.

I like to have at least 12 per pistol, more for rifle but that's just because of my occupation & preference.
For less intensive use I would think between 6-8 per pistol would be sufficient, unless the gun is a safe queen, then 4-6 would probably be enough for most people.
But in the context of a "SHTF" situation as you posted, I would want a few more than normal due to potential difficulty in re-supply.
I am on the range almost every day & either myself or our students use our loaner guns/mags. to train with which is very rough on the mags., so I like to have dedicated "range" mags. & dedicated "carry" mags.
I don't want to bet my life on a mag. that has a lot of wear & tear on it.
This is one of those topics that opinions vary wildly... the good thing is in a non-SHTF environment, we can get them pretty much anytime we want.

Last edited:
Great povs I live in town so I will bug in for as long as i can but inevitably will have to bo if it gets to deep. I am currently keeping 10 per rifle and I slacking on pistols :(. I've gotten to excited and just been buying ammo and arms. Now I'm slowing down and picking up mags inbetween arms

Back
Top Bottom