• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

sig p250- whats the story?

I love sigs but I hate the 250. Its cheap design with a big price tag IMO. Go to the gun store hold a 229/226 then a 250..you will see for yourself. I have no issues with the trigger on the 229's ive had one for a long time. Also the trigger pull on the P226/228/229/220 is DA 10 SA 4.5 ive never felt like the trigger was a problem

I read that article and it stated "ATF, a principal law enforcement agency within the Department of Justice, seeks to replace its current metal-frame handguns with a new .40 caliber, polymer-frame handgun system.[1] This system consists of two handguns, which are issued to each ATF agent: a standard-size duty weapon for enforcement operations and a compact model for backup and auxiliary needs; the two models are in all other respects required to be identical in function and design. RFP, Statement of Work (SOW), at 22. The SOW stated detailed design and performance specifications, describing the exact features and performance characteristics required"
To me that means they tested the 250 full and 250 compact. I wouldnt kick sigs to the curb based on this article for two reasons. #1 they didnt test the sig 226/229 combo these are sigs finest pistols IMO. #2 they prob. had a pricepoint they had to meet that made the 250's the only sig pistols that qualified. I will research more on this topic. But the 250 is a crappy sig im not arguing that. However the company as a whole produces some of the best pistols on the planet.
http://www.sigsauer.com/products/showcatalogproduct.aspx?categoryid=7
:mad:NOT TO MENTION ITS THE ATF??? THEY "POLICE" ALL THE COOL STUFF?????ILL USE WHAT THE NAVY SEALS AND TEXAS RANGERS CARRY????:frusty::frusty::frusty:

Last edited:
I had one of the first ones, serial number was something like EAU0000606. I believe I put 500-1000 rounds through it, I think I had 1-2 light strikes that only occurred with one particular brand of ammo (I don't recall which). I believe I paid around 550 for mine, it came with nightsights and one mag.

I think a few things killed what could have been a neat pistol

a) Instead of being compared to other polymer frame guns in that price range a lot of people compared it to other Sigs. The only other thing it shared with them was the name printed on the side. Except for the Sig Pro, Mosquito, and maybe the.380s the price was much lower than other Sigs.
b) Sig heavily marketed the caliber exchange capabilities then waited way too long to come out with the kit, to the point that it felt like false advertising. By the time the kits were out the price had fallen so much that it wasn't really worth it vs. getting a complete gun. Right now I think the price difference if you shop around can be as little as $100. IMO the release order was also backwards. For a number of months you could only buy the 9mm pistol, then the .40 pistol came out shortly followed by the 9mm kit - even though most people had the 9mm gun.
c) There was a big stink about the 9mm mags being advertised as 16rnd when most could only hold 15. I believe Sig eventually changed their ad to say 15.
d) After a while of making the gun one way, they decided to change the frames on all guns to be more like the frame they were using on the .45. I'm pretty sure mags and holsters were not interchangeable between the frame types.
e) A lot of people were upset it only came with 1 mag.

Personally I focused just on what I was getting at the time. A polymer framed DAO 9mm with rail and nightsights for the same price the Glock 19 was going for (although minus a mag). I thought the trigger was fine considering it was DAO, my DAO P229 is much worse. I felt the ergonomics were significantly better than the competition too.

I liked that it was a fairly simple gun with no safeties or decocking levers, especially when taking new shooters to the range

Being able to remove all of the internals makes it really simple to clean

Bullseye has a few subcompact 9mm's I've thought about picking up several times. They're slightly larger than Glock subcompacts but I think they hold a few more rounds too. I would imagine if you put a mag extension on the Glock like most people end up doing anyways, they're probably the same size.

Pass on the Sig 250. It's bee ditched by or rejected by every major agency that's tried it out.

As for the rest of the Sigs, find a pre 2003/4ish Sig. After that time, management decided to bank on the Sig name and drastically cut the QC for guns. The current QC process has 3 tiers based on what is absolutely required: Federal contracts (best quality), regular police/state agencies (they get test fired) and the civilian guns (no test-firing, basically a crap shoot). You may get lucky and get a decent one, but I wouldn't want a gun from a company that is willing to take a chance on my life in order to save a few bucks. This is straight from a Sig employees mouth btw..

I bought one in 45apc and have put several hundred rds through it . It's a sweet gun but the trigger pull is long but smooth. I'm going to order the short trigger kit and see if it's better. I can shoot groups of 3-5 inches at 25 yrds with it

Well, I just bought one last week, manufactured in December of 2010, so all the changes were made. I shot it this past weekend and loved the gun, no problems, very,very accurate.....and trigger didn't bother me a bit, in fact, I found it kinda fun to shoot. So....so far I have nothing good to say about the gun. I personally think most people had issues with the early dated guns when they first came out, but read lots of reviews from the later made ones and seems everything is pretty positive. I bought the gun because it was a SIG and wanted to try it, figuring that if I didn't like it, I would sell it, But it is accurate and feels good in my hand. Like Mickey says " try it you might like it".

i just wonder if the folks on here selling for 450 or more used, realize they're being sold new for 359.00. i'd be pissed. kills the value.

Back
Top Bottom