• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig P320 Fails Drop Test

Fake news... or at least an over reaction from everything I've seen.

From what I can find, the P320 is "drop safe" in two ways, with a striker blocking level and from the opposing geometry of the trigger bar (which moves forward to fire) and the trigger itself.

Below is a GIF on the blocking lever and how the trigger has to engage it to actuate.

i62.tinypic.com_zm00fd.gif

In most other striker-fired guns the trigger bar and the trigger itself both move to the rear to fire, ao a gun dropped on it's 'tail' would have those parts both moving backwards on impact. That's one reason to lock the trigger with a 'thingy' (technical term there).

According to the folks at SIGTalk, if the 320 is dropped that way, the trigger may move backwards but the trigger bar will try to as well. Since the bar has to move forward to release the sear, the fact that they both move backwards means they cancel each other out.

I really don't know why SIG felt it necessary to put that dropped firearm warning in the manual. I looked through a few manuals I had lying around and didn't see anything similar from other manufacturers. They are definitely going to be spending some time fighting this rumor though.

I'll give it less than a week before CNN, NYT or some other liberal rag starts proclaiming that the military's top choice for a new pistol goes off when it's dropped.

Back
Top Bottom