• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silicone oil treatment for baffles?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I posted this on the thread on silencer talk. curious to hear if anyone has any comments:

"A couple of points- if you go this route with the brake fluid make sure you get 5.0 fluid. it's silicon based. most harley davidson shops would stock it and I assume you can get it most other standard car parts places as well.

DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH STANDARD DOT 3, 4, OR 5.1 FLUID! The 5 is silicon, the other brake fluids are glycol based. I don't know what would happen if you use the others, but since the article is specific to DOT5 (silicon based), if you plan to try this route, confirm you get DOT 5, not 5.1 or 4.
www.silencertalk.com_forum_images_smilies_icon_smile.gif

as for the others comments: I had asked a while ago about the TacSol axiom supressor. i saw one a while ago and it seemed to be a good design, but with all the talk about the sparrow, I just assumed the sparrow was "better". seems that since then the Axiom has gotten some better press, but I still have yet to see any "love" for it here. it would seem that the individual baffles would give it a lower FRP compared to the sparrow while still being easy to disassemble? It would be nice to see a sparrow, axiom and Spectre tested side by side.

from reading recently it would seem that treating a new suppressor with froglube should help a lot with keeping them clean. that was going to be my first option..."...

related to the last note, someone just did a video comparing the axiom, sparrow and spectre II in a 5.7 pistol. the axiom did very well. silencer shop I think...

My Spectre II came in after this thread died down. Before I fired a round, I took it apart and cleaned it with solvent. Then I heated up the baffles and dropped them in some DOT 5 I picked up at autozone. I let the baffles soak for about 24 hours. Then I dipped the rest of the parts and let it all drain. I didn't wipe any off until it was back together then I just wiped down the outside. I've got about 400 rounds through it right now. I'm gonna run it up to about 1,000 and then document the results for you. It'll be interesting to see one that's never been fired without this treatment.

Man waiting 24 hours? You got some will power! I picked up my Spectre II on Sat and it wasn't home 3 minutes before it was in use.
I put about 500 rounds thru mine and disassembled it for cleaning. It was more sooty than anything. I soaked the baffles only in the "dip" for about an hour, rinsed and wiped down and they look like new.
In for the DOT5 results.....

I wonder if these baffles were coated in the non-stick skillit stuff if it would last?

My Spectre II came in after this thread died down. Before I fired a round, I took it apart and cleaned it with solvent. Then I heated up the baffles and dropped them in some DOT 5 I picked up at autozone. I let the baffles soak for about 24 hours. Then I dipped the rest of the parts and let it all drain. I didn't wipe any off until it was back together then I just wiped down the outside. I've got about 400 rounds through it right now. I'm gonna run it up to about 1,000 and then document the results for you. It'll be interesting to see one that's never been fired without this treatment.
In for results!

Back
Top Bottom